PDA

View Full Version : Cam bearings

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

High5
09-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Wondering if this is something I can do myself. Is there a tool I can use or is it best left to the "pros"?????

Trying to do this build on the cheap.

High5 :lo1l:

Soylent_Green
09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes there is a special tool for removing and installing cam bearings.

All the ones I've found are expensive $100+, that, and the risk of not installing them properly, is worth the cost of having a pro do it.

Just my .02

High5
09-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, you are probably right. I just don't know any machinists here in town, well I don't know any anywhere :mrgreen:

I guess I should just have them hone it as well.

Time to hit the yellow pages :t:

High5

76-cj7
09-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Our local NAPA had one for $65?? It was 4+ years ago i bought it but its really not that bad of a job to do.......I have done the bearings in my AMC and quite a few Chevys........still no problems yet =D> I think its a bit odd.......but for some reason my motor dosen't scatter when i bounce it off my 6K rev limiter :mrgreen: So the bearings must be in right just make sure to align then correctly.....i found that "BJ builds an AMC" is one awesome piece of information and would reccomend this book to anyone.....give good info on cam bearing install

High5
09-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Do you have the part number for that tool??? Or maybe know where I can find one???

I'm really interested in doing all of this myself and not using a machine shop if possible.

It appears that this engine was bored 40 over and the crank ground 20 under the last time it was built. I wasn't told that when I bought it :mrgreen:

So I have a honing tool on the way and "suppose" I should do the cam bearings. Any way to tell if they need replacement??

I would like to get on this as soon as possible before the wife reallocates my Jeep funds into shingle funds :shock:

tufcj
09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
This is a link to the cam bearing tool I have. The tool is about $150, most shops charge around $100 to tank the block and install bearings, so it really isn't cost efficient if you only use it once.

Some of the larger tool rental places may have one.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=1974

The Chevy specific one is about $70, but it won't work for AMCs.

You need to be careful to align the oil hole with the passage in the block. The 4 rear bearings are installed from the front and can be installed with the engine on a stand. The front bearing is installed from the rear, so the engine has to be off most stands.

Bob
tufcj

AMX69PHATTY
09-10-2007, 09:55 AM
What's the cam bearing running clearance supposed to be, .002"-.004" ???
Would need to measure O.D. of journals on cam, and I.D. of brgs in block
to determine if they're good or bad.
Cam Bearings, like rods and mains, impact running oil pressure,
as well as clearance between all the lifters and lifter bores.

Bulltear Ad