PDA

View Full Version : oil pump assembly

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JERSEYJOE
09-21-2007, 03:17 PM
I am going to assemble my oil pump, mid plate and 626 cover. I know that the time honored method of using Vaseline as a pump assembly lube / primer is frowned on here. What should be used? I admit that I have used Vaseline for years without any incident but am opened to suggestions.

Since I am using a remote filter and the 626 cover I was thinking about taking the pump output line and backfilling the pump that way. Immediately there after priming the pump via the distributor access. ???????????????

BREK
09-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I am using a nickel plated cover, filter adaptor, and a single external milodon pan kit. I did not use or do anything other than prime the oil pump via the dizzy hole. The engine now has approximately 1500 miles on it, and is working just like the day it was ran on the dyno.

JERSEYJOE
09-21-2007, 07:08 PM
YES BUT THE PUMP NEEDS SOME OIL INSIDE BEFORE YOU START SPINNING IT WITH A PRIMER TOOL. NO????

AMX69PHATTY
09-21-2007, 09:23 PM
I squirted some oil in the cavity after the gears were in,
put a little bit of vaseline between the teeth, not much at all,
smeared some red assy lube on the gear faces,
and smeared the gasket with a very thin film of vaseline.

JERSEYJOE
09-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Thanks Phatty. I have used Vaseline with success. I am not sure what if any the downside issue is?

AMX69PHATTY
09-22-2007, 01:21 AM
you're welcome

Also used red assy lube on shaft of drive gear & bore of driven gear before putting them into the timing cover cavity.

Don't know if there's a concern of blockage from the vaseline
or maybe clogging the filter maybe, but seems like once hot it would dissolve. Remember reading that it can get in behind the pressure relief plunger and cause it to stick. If that happens, or the filter clogs, and it's a filter adapter / pump cover that lacks the filter bypass, would imagine it could create quite a mess if the filter bursts.

:shock: :-| #-o

JERSEYJOE
09-22-2007, 07:13 AM
what does MC say??????????

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Oil on the gears and prime...keep the vaseline for those special times :?:

JERSEYJOE
09-22-2007, 12:36 PM
I REMEMBER ON NIGHT A LOT OF YEARS AGO I WAS PUTTING AN AMX BACK TOGETHER ON A SATURDAY NIGHT RUSHING TO GET IT DONE TO RACE ON SUNDAY. I NEEDED SOME VASELINE TO PRIME THE PUMP GEARS, I REMEMBER GOING TO THE LOCAL DRUG STORE IN GREASY MECHANIC CLOTHES IN A FRENZY FOR VASELINE WANTING TO GET BACK TO THE SHOP AND GET IT RUNNING. TO THIS DAY THE GUY MUST HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS A "SPECIAL TIME" HE DID NOT BELIEVE IT WAS FOR MY CAR..

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2007, 12:46 PM
:?:

73hornut
09-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Getting greasy with our cars, is always a special time.

killahxft_jeep
10-21-2007, 12:42 AM
all i did is take an oil can & squirt a few times into the oil filter holed a few times & also primed the oil filter with oil (filled it about half way). then primeed the system with a drill & flathead screwdriver that I had ruined the handle of. primed right up to 65PSI. ran this for a min or two to make sure everything was circulating all the way up to the rockers...

Bulltear Ad