PDA

View Full Version : headers for amc v8

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mike4089
09-22-2007, 09:13 AM
i want out of my fender well headers...they are just to loud and were cool at first now there annoying...i really want the edelbrock shorties but the 350 dollar price tag sucks...who else make a shortie header or equivelant or am i stuck with the edelbrocks

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Get the (and we havent listed them yet) Edelbrock shorties with the Ti coating. They are around $100 cheaper than the ceramic.

mike4089
09-22-2007, 09:42 AM
im thinking those are the ones to get...

Buzz
10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I run the hooker competion headers (in frame), they are cheap, dont hang down too low and just fit great. I have had mine 10+ years with no problems. I do run copper gaskets.

dan58
10-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Teach a newb here....

How far do the shorty headers stick out? I want something that's tucked in as close to the motor as possible (almost a direct replacement for the stock exhaust manifolds.)

tufcj
10-12-2007, 07:15 AM
The Edelbrock shorties are a direct replacement for the 71-86? free flow manifolds. They'll bolt to the stock exhaust. 87?-91 they changed the driver side to a rear dump, so you'd have to do some mods if that's what you have.

Bob
tufcj

dan58
10-12-2007, 07:45 AM
The Edelbrock shorties are a direct replacement for the 71-86? free flow manifolds. They'll bolt to the stock exhaust. 87?-91 they changed the driver side to a rear dump, so you'd have to do some mods if that's what you have.

Bob
tufcj

I have a 72.

coiler
10-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Purchased Doug Thorley headers look awsome. Will have engine finished as soon as I get the rest of my parts. Thorleys are complete just add muffler and a little bit of pipe.

Baloo
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Are there any advantages/disadvantages for shorties as far as hp and torque opposed to full length? I'll be putting a 360 in my CJ-7 very soon and am curious about these as well. I'd like to run the exhaust in frame also.

tufcj
10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Welcome to Bulltear Baloo.

A few years ago, due to smog laws, I was forced to go from fenderwell headers back to stock manifolds (Edelbrock shorties weren't out yet). I did have a custom 3" single exhaust built with a free-flow cat and Magnaflow muffler. Quiet in the cab, nice deep growl outside, especially around 3000 RPM. I can honestly say I saw no loss in the normal RPM range (up to about 4500), and maybe even some increase just off-idle. There is a slight loss above 4500, but my RV style cam runs out about there anyway. The loss is barely noticable, and my Jeep is built for rock crawling, so off-idle is most important to me anyway.

If you can afford the shorties, I'm sure they'll be better than stock manifolds, but I'm told the stock manifolds flow about 90% of what headers will, and they seldom leak, so they aren't a bad option if you go that route.

Bob
tufcj

Baloo
10-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks tufcj! :mrgreen: I'll just be running a rv cam, performer intake, headers and some sort of carb... probably a truck avenger or something similar. I'm looking for off idle power as well. I do have two pairs of stock 360 exhaust mainfolds so if money runs tight I might sling them on for a while.

JoshF
12-04-2007, 06:41 PM
We used a flowtech in chassis header on my buddies 75 cj5 360.

They were less than 200 bucks.

fifesjeep
12-06-2007, 08:23 AM
DynoMax FenderWell Headers 1 5/8" to 3" Collector bolted to 3" Purple Hornies... That matched to 10.5:1 compression with a .520" lift sounds pretty sick inside the cab... Outside, I sort of feel bad for the Ricers and any other low sitting vehicle 8) But then again, It's kinda hard to listen to music or talk to a friend at a normal voice... Plus where the exhaust dumps I always smeel like race fuel :? Man, I love that smell!!!
Fenderwells are loud as-hell but that's why I have two Jeeps...
401 to free-flow cat and Magnaflow muffler, 3" exhaust dumping out the rear... Sounds like tufcj and I have a similar set-up :idea: She does sounds pretty deep behind the Jeep... But it's nothing like the 360!!! :lo1l:

mike4089
12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
my buddy has that exact setup...i have the same headers but with 3 inch cherry bombs...and the cherry bombs are MUCH louder then the purple hornies....thats why im getting rid of mine and going with shorties and out the back....i just cant stand the noise anymore

Bulltear Ad