PDA

View Full Version : I HAVE HAD IT UP TO HERE ^^^^^

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mike4089
10-04-2007, 07:24 PM
i just replaced the intake gasket because it was leaking...there was a small amount of oil and coolant leaking on the timing chain cover...obvious that it was the intake gasket in the front...so i pulled it replaced it and everything was all good nice and dry...today my buddy goes to pull the jeep out of the shop and there was coolant on the chain cover again......what am i doing wrong i followed directions siliconed the hell out of it i just dont get it and im fed up with it.....now im wondering if the coolant and oil are mixing or if its just coolant coming out...someone please tell me what i am doing wrong....

Lifted79CJ7
10-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Where do you see the anti and the oil? Is it collected on top? Is dripping onto the ground?

mike4089
10-04-2007, 07:33 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/mike4089/coolant1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/mike4089/coolant.jpg

jeepsr4ever
10-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Looks like its wet above it...check the thermostat housing gasket.

tufcj
10-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I agree with MC. Check the thermostat housing. They warp easily. Either work the old one flat, or replace it.

Bob
tufcj

J4GRAND
10-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Are you using the rubber manifold end seals? If so, there is your problem. Most people I know that redo a manifold or engine toss those as they tend to slip when tightening the manifold. You can use a bead of silicone in place of the rubber end gaskets and no more leaks.

mike4089
10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
the thermostat housing was leaking at one point but i put a good thivk bead on it and it stopped...the rubber end seal i think im gonna take off and put a bead of silicone on....but i think my question now is if the coolant is leaking right there in the front is the coolant mixing with the oil...or is it making its way into the intake runners and burning up....????

76-cj7
10-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Looks to me like either the t-stat housing or the intake my not be torqued down enough or it may be warped......have a Torker that became wapred and seeped out of a bolt hole in the front passenger side and it would travel down the intake and end up just like yours looks......pull a few bolts 1 at a time and put some thread sealant or permatex on the threads and re-apply torque.......as far as the end seals go there is no possible way for antifreeze to leak through unless your block and lifter gallery were completly full of antifreeze.....all the end gasket does is to keep dirt n what not out of the lifter gallery.............check out a few of them things and update us.

1980_Cj7
10-05-2007, 09:25 AM
We have an on-going problem with keeping our upper radiator hose from leaking where it goes on the t-stat housing. We get a small puddle on top of the intake. We just periodically tighten the hose clamp. We may have even put double clamps on it, I don't remember.

Depending on the design of your intake, could it be running down over the front from there?

Goose
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Guys, this may be a "cold water leak" they are common in semi trucks and what not.. They only leak when cool, and then they only leak a little they are a pain in the butt cause they are so tough to find.. I would pull the intake bolts and see if they are wet, if not I would suspect they t-stat or the rad house or bypass.. as they cool off the shrink, then dribble then you find the puddle. but I will bet if you wipe it off and fire it up it will run for days and not leak a drop.. till it sits.

mike4089
10-05-2007, 12:24 PM
^ you are correct...i drove the hell out of the jeep today and wiped everything down and made sure it was dry...popped the hood and everythnig was still dry after alot of driving....i bet when i go look at it later there will be coolant on the timing chain cover again......is it really impossible for coolant to be leaking out of the front seal of the intake??? there are water jakets right there in the head i thought that if the water jacket was leaking then it would leak into the valley pan then out of that front part of the intake....im going to take all the suggestions i have right now and go look at it later today

76-cj7
10-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Theres no way for it to leak coolant from the rubber end gaskets just the valley pan itself at the intake flange.

mike4089
10-07-2007, 11:04 AM
so if the thermostat housing is all that is leaking which i will find out this week when i get the new housing....why did my coolant turn brown then??

76-cj7
10-07-2007, 01:58 PM
How much antifreeze is in your motor? too much water and rust will happen.......whens the last time its been changed?

mike4089
10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
well it was changed not to long ago when i did the radiator...middle of the summer roughly...i did use more water then antifreeze and this past time i used all anti freeze premixed...so ill see if it stays green....it was a very light brown color so i dont think that it was oil but my biggest fear right now is a head gasket or something that will really be shit*y

AMX69PHATTY
10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
hopefully it's just the t-stat housing
are the insides of the hoses clean in the ends
where the go onto the motor and rad ?
Rusty crusty stuff on the inside surface of the hoses at
the ends can prevent them from sealing well to rad & motor.

jeepsr4ever
10-08-2007, 10:39 AM
If your oil is milky then you have a gasket/crack issue but if it isnt dont worry its just casting sand and rust.

mike4089
10-08-2007, 04:03 PM
well after i changed the intake i lost alot of water that went into the valley pan and what not and when i changed the oil it was nice and black but there was some water on the bottom...but it was from changing the intake...im gonna just have to be very careful and observant for a while i guess

Goose
10-08-2007, 07:41 PM
well there is a way to find the leak.. go find a cooling system pressure tester (usually Napa has them to rent) and pressurize the system cold.. I bet you will find it..an dont let it get to you..

ironman_gq
10-11-2007, 06:53 PM
if it was leaking into the valley pan and out the front end seal you would find cooland in your oil. I would be its either a bolt hole or the thermostat housing. might it also be a small crack in the manifold that only opens up when things cool down? :-|

Mudrat
11-04-2007, 05:52 PM
What's the prognosis Doc? Water or not? T-state housing leak? Hose? Or worse????

Curious minds want to know :sa:

mike4089
11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
well i bought a new thermostat housing and i installed it today...ive been so busy lately i finally got around to it...i bought a new upper radiator hose also...tommorrow i will run it after the silicone cures..i didnt want to take any chances....so tommorrow i will find out if the thermostat housing was the answer or not

rocknrollcj
11-25-2007, 05:34 PM
hopefully it's just the t-stat housing
are the insides of the hoses clean in the ends
where the go onto the motor and rad ?
Rusty crusty stuff on the inside surface of the hoses at
the ends can prevent them from sealing well to rad & motor.

I agree with the hoses being the culprit. Hopefully changing the hose has cured the situation...
tim

ironman_gq
11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
if you end up with coolant in your oil dont let it run ]. the coolant will attack the bearing metal and destroy your bearings quickly.

woodfar51
01-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Had same problem on my j10. Turned out to be bypass hose.

Bulltear Ad