PDA

View Full Version : oiling the amc 304

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

dave44
10-13-2007, 08:08 PM
i have recentley rebuilt a amc 304.now that i have finished it, ive been doing a little reading on the motor,and i keep hearing about rear main and dist. gear oiling problems.now this is a bone stock motor.do i need to worrie about that ? or is this for just a high rev motor.this is my first rebuild i have ever attempted,so i would like to get it right.or now since it already put together is it to late to add a valley oiling system ? any info will greatly be appricated.

tufcj
10-14-2007, 06:57 AM
If you're just using it for daily driving, a stock rebuild will be fine. The valley line is really only needed in high RPM applications. It should only be added with the engine apart, since you drill the block, and the metal particles get everywhere.

Make sure your oil pump clearances are to spec, that the pump cover is smooth, and that the pressure relief plunger moves freely. Pump up pressure to the engine with a priming tool before the first fire.

Oil to the distributor gear passes thru a slot in the upper timing gear, you need to make sure that passage is clear. You should be able to look thru the fuel pump hole during priming to see oil come out the distributor gear.

LOTS of AMCs made it well over 100K without any mods. A rebuild with quality parts should last that long with no other mods.

Bob
tufcj

Randys72jav
01-17-2008, 11:12 PM
You could also add a extra qt. of oil. Originally AMC used six qt. but cut it down to five on the fleet vehicles to save on maintance cost. Or so I read on another forum. If you do, look for foaming of the oil if the level is to high. Mostly used in higher RPM launches so the oil pump won't suck the pan dry before it can drain back down to replenish itself . RANDY

Bulltear Ad