PDA

View Full Version : Noisy valve train

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

sac_waggon
10-18-2007, 08:53 PM
So I have a 75 Wagoneer with an AMC 401 in it. There has been a tapping sound comming from the top of the enging ever since I got it. I pulled the valve covers to check for any loose rockers when I found the strange bridged rocker setup. Making sure each valve was closed, I went down each head and torqued the rockers to the proper spec, but none were loose. Then I noticed some side to side play between the rockers and the little pad thing that the rocker bridge sits on. It is this side to side play that I believe is making the noise. Is the side to side play normal?? Will it hurt anything??? It sounds kinda scarry, but it seems to run alright and has not gotten any worse since I bought the vehicle almost two years ago. Will a new set of rockers and new rocker bridge kit solve my noise problems, or is this just how these bridged rockers are???
TIA.

Mike

jeepsr4ever
10-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Usually its a loose rocker..if not then a worn cam/lifter. You should be able to feel the play on the pushrods.

ironman_gq
10-21-2007, 12:40 PM
look for bent pushrods. I had a similar sound but loud. found a broken pushrod and 4 bent ones. if they're just bent a little it will most likely just rattle and make noise.

Bulltear Ad