PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock RPM Air Gap woes

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Fever1
10-19-2007, 08:01 PM
I have a recently built 390 in a 1970 AMX. It has the internal oiling mods, distributor gear oiling mods, crane hydraulic roller cam, guide plates, roller rockers. Bulltear mid plate and gears. RPM air gap with 750 holley. Canton road race oil pan. The motor rips. The problem is oil consumption thru the pcv valve. I love the performance of this manifold but hate the oil consumption. I read an earlier post and someone installed a plug in the pcv location and moved the pcv to the valve cover. I have cast edelbrock covers and I am considering machining them to use breathers and pcv. Anyone have pictures of something similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

jeepsr4ever
10-19-2007, 09:14 PM
I would extend a tube where the pcv valve goes into a breather and forget about the pcv. PCV systems are for street and trail and you can bet racers dont use them so if it was my motor I wouldnt use that setup at all. Get rid of that pcv its a performance dampener. One trick is to use a valley pan and a set of racing gaskets together cutting the valley pan around the ports and leave the cross over area just for aligning the pan.

Fever1
10-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the Info. I will give that try.

Fever1
10-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I took your advise and came up with the following. Took the stock PCV apart and machined the hose side barb off. Then took a 3" long 1/4" pipe nipple. Drilled it out to .380". Pressed the PCV into the pipe with a light coating of metal epoxy. Purchased an APC mini breather installed it on the pipe. No more oil consumption and no blown out leaky seals. I also installed a 3" diameter breather on the oil fill tube. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

jeepsr4ever
10-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Nice work McGuyver! :t:

BREK
10-22-2007, 10:13 AM
I have sheetmetal covers on my 390 (street use mainly), had 2"x2" tall velocity stacks welded in them for breathers, I also run a 3" k&n filter on the oil fill tube, plugged off the pcv and I do not seem to be haveing problems of any kind.

Patf10
10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I have been having alot of oil consumtion with my 360. was rebuilt and installed last christmas. I seem to burn through a quart and a half after about 2 hrs on the highway. I dont know if its through the rings or the PCV. would eliminating the PCV be a place to start?

BREK
10-22-2007, 10:27 AM
You could try plugging the pcv, take it out for a drive and see if that cures your problem.

keparrott
10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I believe I have a similar problem with my AMC360. I believe the crank case pressure maybe pushing oil out of my rear Oil pan seal.
I want to be clear. :-|
Are you removing the PCV valve from the intake manifold and replacing it with a small filter of sorts to let the crank case pressure vent to atmosphere?

ironman_gq
10-22-2007, 12:15 PM
A lot of times crankcase pressure will blow oil out of your dipstick unless it seals well. I would run a vent line from the pcv to a catch can and then somewhere into the intake before the filter so water is less likely to get in it. you cant just plug it or youll find all kinds of oil leaks you didn't know you had.

jeepsr4ever
10-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Probly PCV issues there guys!

Bulltear Ad