PDA

View Full Version : Reviving a 327 that has been sitting for years.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

PavementPounder
10-24-2007, 09:51 PM
I just spent a couple hundred bucks getting the starter for this thing remanufactured, as it may be the only thing keeping this beast from moving under its own power.

The patient is a 65 Wagoneer, with 3 on the tree. The motor will rotate (last I tried it), the clutch functions, and the trans shifts. How should I go about properly lubricating the cylinders and priming the motor? The principles should be the same for most engines, but 1st-gen engines are foreign to me.

I guess lets start with lubricating the rings. I'm expecting to be told to introduce some lube into the cylinders and then manually rotate the engine to work it up and down the walls. What product do we prefer to use for this?

I'll get a picture up soon, as I'd also like some help identifying the carb. I was told its not correct for the motor and may be a Rambler unit.

jeepsr4ever
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
You can use just about any motor oil. Might want to prime the system and unhook the fuel line and use a squirt bottom to keep it running. Lifter lost all their oil for sure and I would be suprised if you have major damage from rust.

PavementPounder
10-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I have Marvel on hand, in addition to various weights of dino and synthetic motor oil.

What's the deal with using diesel? It that typically just used to soak rings that are well-stuck?

J4GRAND
10-25-2007, 07:52 AM
unhook the fuel line and use a squirt bottom to keep it running
Squirt bottom? I think that's what you get from eating at Taco Bell at 4am after a long night of drinking. :mrgreen:

As for lubricating the cylinders, I've seen good results with Marvel Mystery Oil. It is a lighter oil that will get into the rings and loosen things up.

Rhinolined360
10-25-2007, 07:14 PM
My engine sat for 14 years, with a 30 over heads cam intake, never had fluids in, i put a little oil in each cylinder via the spark plug holes as well as primed the engine, turned it over by hand. my engine works greak two years after

76-cj7
10-26-2007, 08:07 AM
All the old skool farmers around here seem to like to fill the bottom end with kerosene then they just un-hook coil and crank it to prime then maybe start it for a lil? i wouldnt recommend that though, but prime the system with the kerosene to clean and put in the cylinders to loosen the rings up.......i used a bit of kerosene on a 258 i-6 that set it a backyard for 5 years and 2 floods. Pulled the plugs out and flipped her on her side and about 2 quarts of rusty water poured out from the spark plugs holes , once i got it running it didnt smoke a bit

Rhinolined360
10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
I dont know anything bout benefits of kerosene. I know stacey david from trucks covered everything you need to do in starting and preparing a engine thats been sitting for a while, hes got his show called gearz and his website www.staceydavid.com maybe you can find an old episode there or check out their forum. If it was me doing this, i'd drain old fluids. lube cylinders with a lil oil via spark plug holes, fill with your normal 5 quarts of oil, 1 quart lucas oil stabilizer, or whatever spec you want, turn over by hand, replace spark plugs, cap, oil filter, rebuild carburetor (old gas turns into white dust looking stuff from sitting, replace fuel, fuel filter, clean out gas tank if using the same one, new battery. Check hoses, belt have basic gauges hooked up so you know oil press, temp.

Rhinolined360
10-26-2007, 09:36 AM
and drain the new oil and filter after running it for a little bit maybe 10min -30mins. check spark plugs to make sure you didnt foul them up with the oil that you added to the cylinder. (I always buy the cheapest oil, filter, spark plugs for the first 10-30 min run, then replace with better stuff. I know everyone is going be like ahhhh you cant do that, but I dont really think its going do anything)

Bulltear Ad