PDA

View Full Version : 6 cylinder Javelin to a 360 V8

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

The PIG Smith
10-26-2007, 06:16 AM
I know where there is a 1972 Javelin SST that is powered by a 232 I6 and 3 speed manual with a floor shifter.

With my large collection of a FSJ parts, I have a couple of spare 360 motors around.
I was thinking, how nice one of my 360 backed by a T5 five speed manual would be.
My questions: Are V8 engine mounts hard to source?
Is the front suspension different for I6 cars than V8 cars?

I know on FSJ, the radiator and radiator core support are different between I6 and V8 rigs.
Also, the fuel line comes in the engine bay on the other side.

What little differences would a person run into for making a swap like this?

I am told that this is a SST and is an A/C car.
But, being a I6 car, what creature comforts will this car not have when compared to a full loaded Javelin?

I also made this posting over at the AMX-perience American Motors Forum

jeep_man_401
10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I have done this swap with a '74 Hornet...232 to a 360. The Hornet has the same engine bay as the Javelin. We did it in my high school shop class many moons ago. We didn't even use V8 mounts..just made a plate that bolted to the V8 brackets on the block and then drilled holes to mach the crossmember mounts. :mrgreen:

The radiator from the V8 should bolt up to the Javelin. Otherwise just find an old Matador to steel one from.

The only other thing I can remember is the alt. is on the other side too, so alittle wire moving is in order. Otherwise it was just a matter of keeping the right foot off the gas because the cops didn't like my 360 powered Hornet.

Bulltear Ad