PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bellhousing - AMC engine to A518/A618 Transmission

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Woodchomper
12-09-2007, 03:57 PM
My suggestion would be a custom bellhousing (similar in design to a JW Ultrabell) that would allow the use of an A518 Chrysler automatic w/overdrive behind an AMC engine.

I realize there are currently adapters for mating GM automatics to AMC engines but using one of these adapters with a 4WD vehicle also requires the additional cost of obtaining a GM transfercase or a transfercase adapter.

For those not familar with the Ultrabell design it is basically a replacement bellhousing that mounts to the transmission pump bolts. To install the Ultrabell requires removing (cutting off) the transmission's original bellhousing.

Here are the pros to this idea as I see them:
1. One bellhousing would work with the following Chrysler transmissions: A518/46RH, 46RE, A618/47RH, 47RE, and 48RE.

2. The custom bellhousing will work with both AMC V8 and 6 cylinder engines (same engine bolt pattern).

3. An AMC lockup torque converter should work with this application (TCI has them available).

4. No special flywheel should be needed if an AMC torque converter is used.

5. Jeep transfercases will mate with the A518 transmission (same spline count).

6. The A518 is only 4 inches longer than the 727 TF. Once the custom bellhousing is installed the only remaining modifications needed to complete the install would be the transmission mount and the driveshaft.

7. Both the Jeep and AMC vehicles would benefit by having another option for installing an overdrive transmission.

8. The A518 transmission is basically a 727 torqueflite with an overdrive added on. So rebuilding these transmissions is easy and they have a proven record of handling big block power.

Anyway these are my thoughts. Let me know what you think.

Rich B.

The PIG Smith
12-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Your idea is kinda on the same lines as mine.
Check it out:
Custom Bellhousing for Allison A1000 transmission (http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5490)

junkyard jim
11-19-2008, 12:40 AM
The 518 has ZERO cred for big blocks. Using one from a V10 that's beefed up. maybe (it's the same as the one for Cummings diesels) The AW4 is even stronger. I'd sooner redo the AW4 with parts from the 6 speed auto used in Lexus 4x4s with the Turbo V8 motor.

ol' school power
11-19-2008, 08:34 PM
A 47H from behind an early Dodge Cummins may be a little better choice.
The bell housing is shorter than the gas engine models since the trans requires an adapter ring behind the Cummins much like the early TH 400 did behind a Jeep.
The RH version is hydraulic so no electronics required other than manually locking the converter and OD by switch.

aatcman
01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Except that if you get a tranny from behind a diesel engine, it will be geared for a diesel engine.

One from a V-10 = good idea.

The 518/618 have several good reviews behind the 440 -- Ultrabell even sells a kit for that since they usually have the small block bell.

Those tranny's are also easy for those on a budget to get -- I agree that there should be an ultrabell like adaption for the 518/618 to AMC engines -- It really surprizes me that no one has made up some kind of a kit for it yet.

ol' school power
01-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Except that if you get a tranny from behind a diesel engine, it will be geared for a diesel engine.

One from a V-10 = good idea.

BS
ALL big torqueflites are geared 1 way.
727 and up through 48RE.

aatcman
01-15-2009, 05:09 AM
Point taken -- I was under the impression that the gear ratios changed in the diesel version.

Even so, why not make an AMC bell adapter?

IFSJA members have been asking for one for years now.
One member (BRISTOW) actually cut the bell off of an AMC 727 and welded it onto a 518!!
How much more evidence do you need that such a part would sell?!!!!

It's true that the 518 wasn't seen behind big blocks -- but mostly because they never made a bell for that either.
At least you can get an ultra bell for that application!

Thanks!!

mrtazwrench
01-15-2009, 08:09 AM
That was Ristow, and if I remember correctly he never installed it, and had it for sale.

aatcman
01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
your right, it was RISTOW -- sorry for the extra letter -- big fingers + small keyboard = lots of extra letters.

He never installed it because he ran out of time / money / etc.. after nearly 9 months of construction and had to sell the jeep he made it for.

I didn't know he was trying to sell it -- last post I saw in that forum he was considering it for a J-20.

Even if he is trying to sell that tranny now, my point still stands.
Someone went to the trouble of cutting a bell off an AMC tranny and Welding it to a mopar tranny because such a product does not exsist.

This shows that there is a desire for such a product!
In my opinion, anyway.

ol' school power
01-15-2009, 08:25 PM
It usually comes down to how many are willing to pay for it to make it worth while for the mfr.

amxlonnie
02-01-2009, 09:41 PM
This would be an Excellent part to make available. it would also allow people to use a generic Chrysler 727 in a AMC.BTW they never made a big block 518/618 because chrysler hasn't made a big block in many years. #-o

Mudrat
02-02-2009, 07:02 AM
This would be an Excellent part to make available. it would also allow people to use a generic Chrysler 727 in a AMC.BTW they never made a big block 518/618 because chrysler hasn't made a big block in many years. #-o
Lonnie - nice looking ride! Can you put the pic in your sig line rather than the AVATAR area? Keeps the left edge neat and more room for text. Thanks - I'd have PM'd you but PM's are still inop due to spammers.

You can edit your sig line in 'Profiles' then go to the middle of the page where is says 'Signature'.

Thanks
Pat

Bulltear Ad