PDA

View Full Version : 401 with Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI trouble

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

fivequarter
12-10-2007, 06:53 PM
My Jeep has not been driveable since the Weds before Thanksgiving. This system has been in service for a year and a half. It's been trouble free since the first time it was started. It has only balked when I push some of the adjustments to far. When I started it up after work the other day, it coughed and sputtered and popped in the exhaust. I nursed it home and began to troubleshoot according to the Manual at the weekend between hunting excursions. There are no leaks in the intake. Fuel pressure is right at 50psi. I have excellent voltage in the system. I suspected the Jeep ignition switch, so I ran the system directly off the battery. I had changed the ignition switch once before for a different problem. Still no improvement. No warnings had ever appeared on the controller. Yet the readings on it are pretty eratic. I'm standing there really scratching when I lay my hand on the dist and gave it a turn. It turned. Wow! I thought I had found it. It would have to wait until the next day as I had to repaint the timing mark on the counterweight and clean paint from the nickle plated cover. There is such a tiny hole to look through with the timing light. Next day that bright yellow stripe made it easy to set the base timing. It didn't make a bit of difference. But I did discover that there were frequent losses of spark pulses which got worse the higher the RPM was. After dinking around with my VOM for a while, I guessed that it might be the coil. Certainly it's the cheapest and easiest component to change. I called the local parts places. Nobody had ever heard of an e-core type coil. Edelbrock says a late model mustang but I didn't know that when I called around. So I ordered a new Mallory from Summit. Had to wait until the weekend to change it. Showed my son what I needed done and he took care of that, but it did know good. It was popping and missing just the same. But we let it run. When the engine reached its normal operating temp, we noticed that at idle, it ran perfectly. RPM was pretty steady at 630 and all the other displayed data was constant. When you added any throttle, the missing would start and get worse with ever more throttle added. All the data on the display was so eratic that nothing could be read. That is how it stands today.
Back when I found the dist loose, I opened it up to look at the sensor. I found some debris inside that looks as though it came from rubbing between the rotor and cap. Could this be where my focus should be? This problem is fustrating and made even more so as I have been sick now for a week.

ironman_gq
12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
If you were experiencing erratic spark then I would suspect the ignition system. I would start by replacing the cap and rotor with a new one make sure it has brass terminals. If spark isn't your problem I would look into the injectors. if an injector is going it could work fine at idle but as soon as it needs to provide more fuel more frequently it could be failing. The solenoid inside the injector could go or the orifice could be clogged. Check the dizzy first and be sure thats not the problem then the fuel delivery.

donwag
12-11-2007, 08:44 AM
I am sure you know better, but I once fixed a 401 that had been timed by someone that thought the small tunnel (hole) on the front of some AMC timing covers was used to set the timing. It was running the way you describe.

Use the timing marks on the front of the cover, not the peep hole.

fivequarter
12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I know what your talking about. That hole was for inserting a magnetic pickup for timing if I remember. There is such a cluster of brackets that all that remains is a tiny hole to peer through along with trying to point the timing light.
The trouble shooting is going to be put off for a few days while I heal up from the pnemonia the docs just told me I have. I don't even know if I spelled that right.

Dusty
12-15-2007, 12:05 AM
when my edelborck EFI gave me issues similar to that it was the mallory photocell ignition system. it died twice during the time that i had it both times with similar conditions.

also check the ignition module

fivequarter
06-27-2008, 11:02 AM
It took a while to convince the Edelbrock tech that there was a problem with their system. When he realized that my system had a Mallory distributer, he told me to send it to him and he would fix it. The Hall effect sensor was broken loose from the circuit board. He replaced it but, the cause of the problem is due to the fact that drive gear rotation puts upward pressure on the bottom end of the distributer body, which is aluminum. The end play had grown from the original .020" to .086". Enough to bump the Hall sensor. I had to shim to get the specified end play before putting it back in srevice. Problem solved.

coiler
06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I am having problems with my efi system, it seems like a surge could it be the dist? What should I look at? Any help would be great. Thanks

fivequarter
07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure I can be of much help to you. I guess I would make sure that the power connections to the EFI were good as well as the ground. I would make sure that the fuel pressure was around 50psi. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Re check the base timing. Start with the default settings and make small changes at the various vacuum/RPM points and see what happens. You may have to start a dialog with Edelbrock's EFI Tech. Hope thi is of some help to you.

Jim

coiler
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the advice, just wondering how erratic your rpm is? Mine bounces quite a bit at idle. Seems to be getting better thou. Thanks again

Bulltear Ad