PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepcj7304
12-13-2007, 02:43 PM
i am planning an engine rebuild in the next month or so on my 360. it came from a 83 wagoneer. i am going to use the edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock carb, headers, and HEI from my 304 in the build. my plan is to go .30 over on the bore a nice cam was told by fuzz that a comp 268 is good. going to use the cast HD pistons from the site. where can i get a good gasket set or a gasket set and rebuild kit. want quality but not at the cost of an arm and leg. any other suggestions are welcome just starting to get the ideas to price and get a parts list so when i start i have everything.

jeepcj7304
12-13-2007, 05:00 PM
or what about these pistons?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Mopar-360-flat-hypereutectic-coated-pistons-9-1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33623QQihZ011QQitemZ3 20192036674QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

BREK
12-13-2007, 05:13 PM
If I am not mistaken those pistons you gave a link to won't work? If you go to that company's ebay store they have an amc section, and they show an rol gasket set there (it soesent come with thy valleypan gasket though).

jeepcj7304
12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
im really looking at these three ways either build my own kit piece by piece using either the pistons on here (hd cast) or use these keith black ones on summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=UEM%2DKB107030%2D8&autoview=sku

or go with this fel-pro kit from summit and just add my cam the kit comes with hypereutic pistons, all bearings, rings, high volume oil pump, and gasker set. the kit runs 389.00 also it is for a chrysler 360 from 71-90 should fit right. what would you all recomend?

tufcj
12-13-2007, 05:55 PM
I use Fel-Pro gaskets. This is a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320185706339

www.fastengineparts.com has a lot of AMC parts at good prices. It's their ebay auction.

Bob
tufcj

jeepcj7304
12-13-2007, 06:57 PM
piston link was no good try this one

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=UEM%2DKB107030%2D8&autoview=sku

AMX69PHATTY
12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Be sure and not mix up that Chrysler made a 360 V8

and it is completely different than an AMC / Jeep 360 V8

Pistons for ~$145 in above eBay link are for Chrysler, not AMC / Jeep.

But you probably already know this.

Kits are convienent, but you end up with better parts if ya get'em seperately.

jeepcj7304
12-13-2007, 07:05 PM
do you guys prefer cast or hyepereutectic pistons

and when choosing push rods i figured hardened but saw the increased oiling ones on here which would you recomend?

jeep_man_401
12-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Hypereutectic pistons are better than cast. I have a set of KB's in my 401...been good so far.

tufcj
12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Hypereutectic pistons are a middle ground between cast and forged. I've personally never used them, but I have heard of some catastrophic failures if they're used with NOS.

A cast piston are fine for a stock or mild build. If you're going to high performance, spend the few extra $$ beyond hypereutectic and go for forged.

Bob
tufcj

jeep_man_401
12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
I have heard of some catastrophic failures if they're used with NOS.

NOS can ruin any motor if not used correctly. :mrgreen:

My machinist told that Hypereutectic pistons can shatter if you drop a valve...but I would suppose cast pistons will do the same.

The advantage to Hypereutectic pistons is they can run tighter clearances. Most cars nowdays come with Hypereutectic pistons, so they cant be that bad.

Forged pistons can be loud with the piston slap until they warm up, I also believe they are heavier than Hypereutectic pistons.

There are other advantages to them, cost, longer ring life, less oil burn...it really up to the builder to be informed and know what they want from the engine.

My motor is making 460hp with Hypereutectic pistons...I spent the money saved elsewhere on the motor. Zero gap rings would be worth while as the Hypereutectic piston is more stable in the cylinder.

Most are rated to 2 HP per cubic inch and beyond.

some links... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston
http://webpages.charter.net/beckracing/page11.htm

when choosing push rods i figured hardened but saw the increased oiling ones on here which would you recomend?
You'll need hardened pushrods if you run guide plates. (roller rockers) otherwise I would use the ones here on this site.

tufcj
12-14-2007, 09:21 AM
I actually dropped a valve in the 304 that was in my CJ. Happened without warning at highway speed, around 2500 RPM. As far as we could tell, the valve head broke off the stem, the rocker/bolt (bridged) broke, and the stem unloaded and the retainers popped off, the stem then dropped and punched 2 neat holes in the piston before bending over 90 degrees. The valve head put some nasty dents in the piston and head before going out the exhaust (we assume, we never found it).

Bottom line, the stock cast piston held up to some nasty hits but stayed together. We were able to put the engine back together with a new piston, reconditioned rod, and a valve job on the original head. It had under 60K on it.

Cast pistons will take a licking.

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
i am planning an engine rebuild in the next month or so on my 360. it came from a 83 wagoneer. i am going to use the edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock carb, headers, and HEI from my 304 in the build. my plan is to go .30 over on the bore a nice cam was told by fuzz that a comp 268 is good. going to use the cast HD pistons from the site. where can i get a good gasket set or a gasket set and rebuild kit. want quality but not at the cost of an arm and leg. any other suggestions are welcome just starting to get the ideas to price and get a parts list so when i start i have everything.
Just did this same build - 30 over cast pistons, Summit 8600 cam (balanced rotating assy and had the crank turned and polished) Eddy intake and 1406 carb, and used FelPro gaskets with no worries (MC the new dizzy got in and I should get it under THE Tree when I get home :mrgreen: ).

Bulltear Ad