PDA

View Full Version : NICK ALFANO'S CAM ANTI-WALK KIT

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

76-cj7
12-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Does AMC reallyhave problems with cam walk?? Recently chewed a set of gears and was wondering if it was poor set of gears? oiling? or cam walk? Lookin to put a 360 together and was considering this as an option to do before i sent the block away.......Also does this come with some sort of bearing for the cam to ride against the thrust plate?? seems as if some waer might occur there and most of all does anybody know which timing gear set he uses??? heard that cheaper set don't use good quality cam sprocket? $245 bucks os alot to spend if it won't help me...any body have any experience with this kit?

tufcj
12-21-2007, 03:16 PM
I've never had a problem in any of the 10 AMC engines I've built. The anti-walk plate is really only needed when using a roller lifter cam. The taper of the lobe with standard lifters will keep it from walking forward.

I have heard stories of some bad cam blanks that either had a lobe that was too wide, or no oil holes thru the rear journal that would cause them to push forward, but I've never seen either.

Bob
tufcj

Blown7
12-21-2007, 03:19 PM
No experience on the big dollar kit but I made mine from a 11 dollar SBC plate.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Blown7/newpicMar192007022.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Blown7/newpicMar192007021.jpg

jeepsr4ever
12-21-2007, 03:29 PM
:(: Quit cheating Jeff

:?:

Was oil able to travel to your cam gear with that plate as it came or did you open up the hole?

76-cj7
12-21-2007, 11:36 PM
TufCj.....thats the same thing that i was pondering on......was considering a high rpm roller motor but then realized it would be somewhat useless in my jeep.....somehow its slowly going to get built to be a mudhole machine but i need to upgrade other parts first.......so for the time being im looking for more grunt than my 304 can provide

Blown7
12-22-2007, 05:14 AM
:(: Quit cheating Jeff

:?:

Was oil able to travel to your cam gear with that plate as it came or did you open up the hole?

I didn't open up the anti walk plate hole, but I had to turn down and face off the back of the cam sprocket to get the proper timing chain alignment and get the sprocket flush to the cam. The reason I did this (as you know) I didn't want any walk with the new oil pump being driven with the chain assembly off the camshaft.

dadcat
12-28-2007, 03:33 PM
BLOWN 7:
What size bolt hole did you tap in the block? Did you drill through the block front wall or just enough material for the bolt? Is the SBC plate easy to find or do you have a part number. Thanks for information.

Blown7
12-29-2007, 01:25 PM
[quote="dadcat"]BLOWN 7:
What size bolt hole did you tap in the block? Did you drill through the block front wall or just enough material for the bolt? Is the SBC plate easy to find or do you have a part number. Thanks for information.[/quote

If I remember correctly I used a 1/4-28 with a button head cap screw and drilled about 3/8 inch deep.
I can't remember the p/n but chevy only makes two different plates. Buy the one around 11 dollars.]

Bulltear Ad