PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the Jeep World

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jharlan68
12-24-2007, 09:25 PM
aka, Jeff Harlan. I am the Maintenance Director for a small Christian University in Southern Ohio. This is my first Jeep, a Christmas gift from my son. It's a '75 CJ5 with a transplanted 360 from a '78 Wagoneer. 3 speed tranny, no clue as to what the transfer case is or what gears it has. This will NOT be a show machine or a mud hog. I'm just wanting to get the rust holes patched up, a decent looking paint job for a daily driver. I appreciate all that I have learned so far from the wealth of experience on this forum. You guys :lo1l:

Goose
12-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Welcome, THis is THE place for the info..

I have a 77 CJ-5 with a 304 in it.. so much fun (so little heat in the cab!)

jeepsr4ever
12-25-2007, 02:29 AM
Hey Jeff welcome!!

fifesjeep
12-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Welcome... Ask away and show some pictures when you can.

rollen dean montoya
01-02-2008, 07:39 PM
welcome to our humble insane asylum :lo1l: :mrgreen:

tufcj
01-03-2008, 09:59 AM
The trouble with Jeeps is so many parts get swapped when broken.

Originally it would have had a Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front, both with 3.73 gears (4.27s optional). The trans would be a t-15, with a model 20 t-case.

72-75 Jeeps probably had the strongest factory drive train, the frames had a weak spot just behind the front spring hanger. Check for cracks on the bottom edge of the frame.

Enjoy your Jeep, once you get Jeep in your blood, it never goes away.

Bob
tufcj

The PIG Smith
01-03-2008, 05:32 PM
It's a '75 CJ5 with a transplanted 360 from a '78 Wagoneer.
WOW!
A 360 in a CJ5 will be a handful! That's lot of power in a small package.
Maybe some should warn those punk kids in their Mustangs, Cameros and Ricers you are lose on the street with a 360 powered CJ!
On the other hand...Nahhhh...let 'em find out the hard way! HAHAHA

Welcome!

jharlan68
01-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I can't wait to release the beast and just dare one of those punks try to get a hole shot on me! :?:

jharlan68
01-03-2008, 09:17 PM
The trouble with Jeeps is so many parts get swapped when broken.

Originally it would have had a Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front, both with 3.73 gears (4.27s optional). The trans would be a t-15, with a model 20 t-case.

72-75 Jeeps probably had the strongest factory drive train, the frames had a weak spot just behind the front spring hanger. Check for cracks on the bottom edge of the frame.

Enjoy your Jeep, once you get Jeep in your blood, it never goes away.

Bob
tufcj

Bob, thanks for the info, I'll check that front hanger out for cracks. I am also kicking around the possibility of putting a 4 speed in it. Any advice would be appreciated.

jharlan68
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Bob,
You were right. Got the ol' girl out tonight to move it from one shop to the other. No top on, 35 degrees, I had to take it for a its first run. It was awesome. That is, until it jumped time, and sputtered its way back to the shop. I had to put a new dizzy in it, and I didn't put a matching cam gear on it. The previous owner showed me the old dizzy gear and it was chewed up in a couple of places, so I guess that's my next step. But for a few fleeting moments, the rumble of the 360, the wind slapping me in the face, and the rear end swerving on a couple of small icy spots was all that it took for me to be a definite lifetime Jeeper.
WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!! :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad