PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Bulltear HEI

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

BIGYELLOW78J10
12-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Looks good, just a few questions on the install.

I know I need a switched source for the + side to get it going. Can I use the - side as a tach trigger?

Any suggestions on the switched source? Is installing a relay a good idea?

Any tricks for swapping the dizzy gear?

Any general hints?

I swapped to the big ford dizzy cap a while back. The plug wires look awful similar - do they interchange or am I SOL?

Thanks and I appreciate the help!

Daniel

fifesjeep
12-25-2007, 02:46 PM
You should have 2 wires (Large Red & Small Light Blue) going into the Iginion module... Cut those and remove the Ignition Module and Coil as they're not needed anymore. You can use either the red or the blue wire as they're both a switched 12v source... I used the Large red one for the 12v power in and I used the blue one for my electric choke... On your Starter Solenoid you can disconnect the Ignition side.... (Blue wire). I'll try to dig up some pics/diagrams.
As for the tach, gound it and plug the tach lead into the tach slot on the distributor cap...
It's always good practive to use similar gears for the cam and distributor... If you mix match them you could run into trouble as the gears try to wear/conform to one another... You could luck out but.. You just never know with some products.
HEI wires are slightly different than the average wires.. Double check what you have... they could be a unversal wire... I changed the ends on my stuff and I was good to go...

ironman_gq
12-26-2007, 12:30 PM
if you have a stock CJ tach make sure you unplug it and plug the two ends of the red wire that go to it into each other. it is the ignition feed wire and you wont be able to use your tach hooked up like stock.

BIGYELLOW78J10
12-26-2007, 06:51 PM
This will be going into my 78 J-10, 2v Auto/Qtrac. Still haven't dropped it in yet. Trying to decide if I want to look for a pretty pigtail or piece it together and still trying to figure out plug wires. I have nice 8mm wires from a TFI/Big Ford cap upgrade and would like to reuse if possible.

Any advice on plug wires if I need to buy a set?

Thanks,

Daniel

dbesade
12-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Livewires makes a nice set of HEI Wires for the AMC. But I'm cheap.. went to Autozone and got wires for an 83 Chevy Pickup with a V8.. $35 bucks got me 8mm wires that do the job.

-Dave

fifesjeep
12-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Live wires are nice, I have the DUI HEI with the lives wires on the 401... $$$$ Nice set-up though...

ironman_gq
12-29-2007, 05:35 PM
as long as the wires have HEI style ends they might work but will probably be a little short as the HEI is a lot taller than the stock dizzy

BIGYELLOW78J10
12-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow. That was easy. Really easy.

I went the 83 chevy route. Not sure how I feel about the plug ends - they are all 90 short boots except two straight boots. Would have preferred 45 degree boots. I should have just crimped my own. Plenty of length though.

I rigged up my power and tach leads but will look for a proper HEI plug-in deal for a cleaner look.

Am I missing something on the cap - it seems awful hard to get the plug wires on. I had to loosen the upper cap but didn't want to full loosen it as I had trouble with the screw slleves and the center contact fallingout. Is there an easy way to put the plug wires on?

Another thing, I rough timed it by ear as I couldn't get eyes on the balancer becuase of the mount of the AC on the 360, any hints on it?

Thanks for your help and thanks to Bulltear for a great product.

Daniel

ironman_gq
12-30-2007, 12:49 PM
dont they just push straight on? or does yours have the retainer cap like some of the MSD dizzys

BIGYELLOW78J10
12-30-2007, 05:15 PM
The Bulltear HEI has the retainer cap.

Bulltear Ad