PDA

View Full Version : Oiling in a rockcrawler

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rockjeep
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Well I'm going to put a 360 in my rockcrawler. I've currently got a 304 and ate the cam and lifters in the back valley twice. I want to make sure oiling is not an issue on steep rock face climbs. Are there any mods that are particularly good to prevent oiling issues when at extremely steep angles? both straight vertical and tilted sideways.
Thanks,
Bobby

jeepsr4ever
01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
A deep oil pan is almost a must! A swinging pickup is extra insurance but definately a extra capacity oil pan.

JERSEYJOE
01-03-2008, 08:13 PM
HOW ABOUT AN ACCUSUMP JUST IN CASE???

MC???

rockjeep
01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
that pan is nice as hell, but might be out of my budget for now. Shit I probably need it though.

fifesjeep
01-04-2008, 09:29 AM
If you can weld and play with metal or know where a good metal shop is you can have them bend up some .060" + thick sheet metal say 12" wide x 10" long and 3" deep... (I'm pretty sure my pan is bigger.... Wider and longer) ... But, It should look something like this crude drawing below.
__l.........l__
l____*____l
Have them cut "X" amount from the bottom of the stock pan... (MAKE SURE THEY REMOVE ALL OF THE SLAG! 8) Cough cough)... Making sure they keep it to the stock depth... This will add more qts of oil, you'll be able to use the stock pickup plus this will keep more oil in the sump on the inclines... The stock pan has a thin plate that the pickup fits through which works great with this additional "sump" to the pan, it helps keep the oil where it belongs...
I purchased a 7.5qt oil pan... had issues with it :(: ... I said "F" it, turned around sold it cheap showing why I wanted to get rid of it.... (The guy who purchased it said he had to grind the welds out, remove all of the slag, trim a little here and there and then re-weld some of the pieces, he said it would been easier making one from scratch). And with that said, I Then went out grabbed one of the extra pans and made my own with similar dimensions listed above, (Slightly different)... I'll have to go out measure and take pictures... This can be done for a fraction of the cost... Or if you can Tig and have access to a bender then you're golden... don't forget to drill a hole in the back and weld (tig) a Nut to the pan for a drain hole. :idea: I had to take mine off and do that... I also had to cut out that internal piece, tig the nut and then tig the internal piece back in... A Stupid mistake #-o that took almost 2 extra hours... :oops:

Bulltear Ad