PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Test

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
01-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Don't know if this is baloney or not, but I ran across it and thought I'd share it.
Jack

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

jeep_man_401
01-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Humm, funny that the K&N rated that low. Did they oil it like they are suppose too?

I can't believe that one filter would be first in all the tests. Sounds rigged to me. :-|

Goose
01-04-2008, 09:05 AM
I found that a little wierd also.. But unless I am mistaken when you dig throught hte test tables at the end of the article, you see that the first batch of A/C etc filters, were tested with "Coarse dirt" and in the tables it shows the K&N and a few of the others tested with "fine dirt" batch 444d.. This would skew the results alot.., Having said that Let me also say, I do not really disagree with the conclusions drawn in the report.. I have long maintained that the stock paper element will flow all a mild street engine needs (given sufficient size) in an open element type air filter, without passing the dirt and dust, foam elements have always concerned me with the coarseness of the filter media.. now the K&N Filter made out of the pleated oiled paper media..good stuff.. Now rememeber I am talking a mild modified street engine say up to 400 hp and 6000 rpm.. since most of the time that engine, on the street turns 3000 rpm max.. and not that often.. and what you want is to keep it alive..

jeep_man_401
01-04-2008, 05:18 PM
If there wasn't a place for the aftermarket there wouldn't be one. I agree with the stock filter on a stock engine, heck even a modified engine.

Alot comes down to conditions and $'s. I run a stock filter on my '99 Grand Prick But I run K&N's (Summit branded) on my '76 J10...mainly because stock wouldn't stand up to open to the environment (rain, mist, snow, etc) conditions. A also wouldn't run a K&N on my '99 because K&N's require re-oiling to maintain their protection. I am poor at changing the filter on the '99...maybe once in the last 4 years. #-o

Tests and surveys of company made products are the same, they seem to always favor their own product until they are the test are made under equal conditions. :mrgreen:

I'm just glad they didn't have the "tornado" on they saying that help the flow! :razz:

Goose
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Yep, I agree, and the one part I forgot to add.. the stock filter element isnt usually the problem.. it is the Container / plumbing get rid of the housing in a lot of cases and the element isnt the issue.. But just think dual bling bling tornados mounted in a clear inlet pipe with (wait for it.....) Blue and red LED's!! wow 20 hp at least!!

jeepsr4ever
01-04-2008, 05:47 PM
K&N filters are designed for open element (those that are) and that means they must filter the heavy road dirt and that makes the element very tight. This causes the low flow. This info has been around for about 5 years.

I do like increasing the size of you air cleaner though.

jeep_man_401
01-05-2008, 03:33 AM
the stock filter element isn't usually the problem.. it is the Container / plumbing get rid of the housing in a lot of cases and the element isn't the issue

Now they design the plumbing to make the engine quite...gone is the noise of the rush of air when you stump on the gas. (I miss that sound...big old Matador, old cop cars)

Ever look and wonder why antenna's on some cars have a groove in them swirling up...air tunnel test showed that it cut down on wind noise. 111!!! #-o

I wish they would have to sit in my car with the window cracked open alittle though...loud as heck inside. I like the J10 with the little side window up front.

Goose
01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Yep thats a fact.. the Dodge intrepid I had had a "Sound baffle" in the intake hose.. it took a 4" pipe down to about 21/2" then back out again.. what a restriction! and all so that when you hammered it the twin holley throttle bodies wouldn't disturb grandma..

A lot of folks don't like the Quadra jet.. but ya gotta admit.. when you had your leg in it.. that thing would howl..

ol' school power
01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Now they design the plumbing to make the engine quite...gone is the noise of the rush of air when you stump on the gas. (I miss that sound...big old Matador, old cop cars)

I can't hear mine either. Maybe it's the open headers
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/rwh120/000_0214.jpg

jeepsr4ever
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Next time I see that car I am going to glue some hair on the center of that air cleaner :?:

Thats a dead sexy fresh air intake :idea:

rollen dean montoya
01-08-2008, 11:28 PM
better make it a purple mohawk :lo1l: :lo1l: :lo1l: :lo1l:

Goose
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Dude I so need one of those aircleaners.. Hell two of them!!!! Where did you find that?

ol' school power
01-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Dude I so need one of those aircleaners.. Hell two of them!!!! Where did you find that?

http://www.ramairbox.com/

Goose
01-10-2008, 09:18 AM
DING DIng!! I think one of those willbe chromed out and put on the 1938 Dodge street rod..!!!! and maybe the J-10 as well! thanks.

Bulltear Ad