PDA

View Full Version : Two 360s to make one - questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MD2028
01-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I hate to admit it, but I guess I qualify as a newbie (I just Registered). I bought a 79 CJ7 a few years ago and have modified just about everything except the 258. It runs perfect, but just doesn't have enough power for the occasional mudhole when running the trails.
I've picked up two 360s for nothing and next to nothing, but found both had major flaws and I'm trying to figure out the best combination of parts to use.
The 88/89 engine had a bad cylinder and piston. The 74 engine (head markings and heads appear original with no other block or valve cover tag indicators) looked like it pumped gravel through the oil system. It ran, but the crank will need more than just polishing. I see the newer 3233344 heads have a little more water passage than the 3220502-2 heads. There is also some variation in the connecting rods.
I'll have to use the older block, but I don't know which heads and rotating assemblies to use.
It'll get new pistons. I was hoping for a little bump in compression (9.0-9.5 at most), but from what I've read, piston choices are minimal at best unless I want to fry my credit card.
I've got a Holley Truck Avenger and Performer Manifold to go with a Performer Cam along with all of the basics for a proper rebuild.

I've built a couple of big Mopar engines in the past, but I'm a little new to AMC and I'm open for suggestions.

jeepsr4ever
01-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Welcome aboard!

You will find that the AMC heads from 1974-1991 are equal as far as cc's, rockers...ect. Some earlier heads had aluminum bridges between the rockers instead of steel but all are interchangeable. You can definately make one good 360. You can have the heads shaved .023-.025 to gain a bump in compression (.5) and be right around 9-1. 290-304-343-260 all used the same basic rod dimensions as well. I would use a good set of new stock cast pistons for your build and you should be able to grunt around quite nicely for a long time with the right camshaft.

Bulltear Ad