PDA

View Full Version : NO PRESSURE! AGAIN!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

randyrussell13
01-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Alright, I had this problem awhile back and I thought I fixed it. I have good oil pressure usually. But every once in awhile, I will start it up and have no pressure at all. It has done this when I first crank it up in the morning, and it has done it when I crank it up after it has been driven and is already warm. It only does it when I first crank it up, if I start it and it has pressure, then I'm good to go, the pressure doesn't drop to nothing once I'm going. But every once in awhile, I'll have no pressure when I start it! I have to pull the oil pump, pack it, put it back on, prime it, and then I have pressure again when I start it. I've been through this about 6 times. Timing cover and oil pump are all new when I rebuilt the engine just prior to this problem. I thought it might be that my oil filter didn't have anti drain back, but I replaced it with a purolator with anti drain back, and it just did it again after a week. Any ideas??? I'm going crazy with this one!

89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360
Edelbrock Carb, intake, cam
MSD ignition, distributer
Headman headers

BREK
01-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Stuck plunger?

randyrussell13
01-18-2008, 05:36 PM
The last time I did it, I took the nut off, and the plunger and spring came out easy.

Since I cant find anywhere locally that sells the gasket, I have been cutting new ones out of gasket material, it may be thicker than the usual gasket. Would this effect it?

76-cj7
01-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Deff sounds like some sort of bleed back.....check your pick-up.....ive heard that if theres a small leak it will suck it all right back out.... :-|

randyrussell13
01-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Where would the leak be in the pickup? Maybe where it screws into the block? And how do I measure how far the pickup tube screws in for the right depth? I wasn't sure when I put it in, I just went until it was real tight.

76-cj7
01-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Im thinkin its NPT?? so it would go until snug and then position where needed?? Thats what i did for mine along with some teflon tape

jeepsr4ever
01-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Gaskets need to be no more than .0095" thick on a new setup. that is most likely your culprit. Gaskets also must be installed dry. Checklist

1. Make sure you wires are hooked to your pressure sending unit
2. Do not use Fram filter for an AMC
3. Check your spring and plunger
4. Replace that thick gasket

the pickup tubes made these days are set to the correct depth of you would break it if you overtightened it. I doubt this is the case. The thicker the gasket the worse the pump will pump.

randyrussell13
01-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna go ahead and put a oil pump rebuild kit in there just for the heck of it, replace that gasket, put in a midplate, and go with a good filter. If that doesn't work then I will pull the pan and check out the pickup tube. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ohh, and I just found this forum, and I have to say, it rocks!!!
Good stuff on here, thanks for being around.

76-cj7
01-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Sounds good man....let us know the verdict

Brett Polwell
01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
So if you aren't supposed to use a Fram filter what brand or type should you use.

jinpdx
01-23-2008, 05:57 PM
WIX or Napa gold work the best, so I've heard on here.

randyrussell13
01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
All right. Got the rebuild kit in there, new (right size) gasket, and a Wix filter. I've got 60 psi on start up, about 40 psi when driving, and 20 at idle. Seems way higher than before. I was always around 20 when driving and about 12 at idle before. 40 is nothing to worry about, right? Not too high?

Hopefully that will solve it.

I'm thinking it was caused by the thick gasket I was using, or maybe the crappy Fram filter. The gasket material I was cutting the gaskets from was tons thicker than the correct one.

In the process of pulling the pump of every time it screwed up, I stripped out some of the threads in the timing cover, so I drilled and tapped new ones all the way around and went up a size in bolts (that was fun!!! LOL).

Hopeully that ends my head aches with the Waggy, Because I'm about to buy a beat up 73 International Scout that is gonna keep me busy for awhile!

Thanks for the help guys!

ol' school power
02-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd vote on the crappy Fram filter as the culprit.
I've seen them brand new, drain back into the pan overnight since the internal valves don't work.
Fall apart and push the filter media through the hole and block off the oil to the motor.
Had 2 people pull them off ( from my recommendation) after a couple hundred miles and shake them. The internals rattled inside guessing they already fell apart.

ironman_gq
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I know a guy that had two blow up on him the same day right after starting his motor. engine started and the filter just poped mande one hell of a mess. :(:

Bulltear Ad