PDA

View Full Version : WATER PROOFING!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jshankcj7
01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for water proofing my 76' CJ7. Im gonna be gettin into some deep water here before long and I wanna make it out of it still runnin. Any input would be great thanks. J.Shank

tufcj
01-30-2008, 08:05 AM
The biggest problem I have with my Jeep in water is a wet distributor. The cap gets hot, then when splashed with cold water, it gets condensation inside and shorts everything out. I have a 1/8" plastic line thru a hole in the distributor cap hooked to a vacuum line. I have a vacuum line on the manifold with a "T" and a plug. When I know I'm going to see water crossings, I pull the plug and connect the vacuum line to the dist. cap. This sucks the condensation out and keeps it running.

Take all your electrical connectors apart clean them and smear with dielectric grease (including both ends of the plug wires), that will keep the water out of the electrical. Use a closed air cleaner, or use a piece of tin to block the front half of an open filter. Some silicone or a bead of grease at the carb and covers to keep water out.

Bob
tufcj

76-cj7
01-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I dont think i could've said it better myself......I think hes hit all the major points to consider.....if you have an electric fan you may want to shut her down when crossing but other than that...happy swimming haha

Mudrat
02-03-2008, 07:03 AM
I have a 1/8" plastic line thru a hole in the distributor cap hooked to a vacuum line. I have a vacuum line on the manifold with a "T" and a plug.
Interesting. Do you use full manifold VAC or ported?

Got a pic?

tufcj
02-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Manifold vacuum. The fitting for my power brake vacuum had a small nipple on it that originally was used for some sort of emissions. I just have a cap on it, and the line from the distributor cap lays on the manifold. If I'm going on a trip that will require water crossings, pop the hood, hook up the line.

The vacuum leak is small, I didn't notice it with the carb, the TBI actually compensates for it.

Really very simple, I'll snap some pics. I tested it by running a garden hose over the hot dist cap. It missed at first but kept running, once the cap cooled, it ran normally, even with water pouring directly over the cap.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad