PDA

View Full Version : In chassis cam swap.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

ironman_gq
02-10-2008, 09:58 PM
what is the best way to do a cam swap without pulling the engine? does the grill need to be removed or would it be easier to just pull the whole front clip off?

ironman_gq
02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
also what is a good set of lifters. I was looking at the Crower ones P/N 66031-16. anybody use these or have a better recommendation. its an off road motor that is built for low end trail use and mud.

jeepsr4ever
02-10-2008, 10:16 PM
:idea: Yes you will have to pull the radiator and grill. I would run the same mfgs lifters or you may run into a hardness issue when your swapping. Their is a general rule of thumb for a across the board hardness in stock hydraulic cam and lifters but with all the overseas sets coming its hard to keep track.

jeep_man_401
02-11-2008, 07:50 AM
I am using Crower "cam saver" lifters in my 401. They have a small flat on them that bleed oil off to the cam lobes. Seem to work fine and no oil pressure problems, but I am running a Indy cover with a higher volume pump.

tufcj
02-11-2008, 08:01 AM
In a CJ, it's easiest to unbolt the grille/radiator in one piece. 4 bolts at each fender, one on the bottom, 2 support rods. Lift the entire thing out of the way for easy access.

I'm running Crower lifters with a Crower cam in my AMX 390, no problems so far. Like MC said, it's best to get both from the same manufacturer if possible. If there's any problem, there can be no finger pointing.

I got a Crane cam replaced free that way. Using Crane cam/lifters, it rounded a lobe in under 100 miles. Sent both back to them, they replaced it.

Bob
tufcj

ironman_gq
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Im going with an Engle cam and they dont sell lifters they just say to use any good american made lifter. so what works well Im thinking of getting the Crower.

Bulltear Ad