PDA

View Full Version : Another cam gear failure

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

slagburn
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Long story short- 150 miles ago I installed a new Engine Pro double roller timing set, now the cam and dizzy gears are junk. Tore down to find casting flash in cam sprocket blocking oil feed passage.

Just a heads up.

jeepsr4ever
02-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Sounds like the old problem has re-surfaced. The camshaft mounted large timing gears from Summit and Edelbrock used to have this issue frequently.

dwg86
02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
When you get a new timing set, I would recommend the rollmaster. Both gears are machined billet steel. The crank gear has 9 keways for retading or advancing your cam (-8 -6 -4 -2 0 +2 +4 +6 +8 ) You can also get a shorter chain if the block mains were honed. I have seen them on evilbay for $119.00...buy it now price.

dwg86
02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Sorry, don't know how the little green guy showed up. I must of hit a wrong key.

tufcj
02-13-2008, 11:31 AM
The finger guy is the # 8 in brackets, put a space after the +8 and the bracket, it will go away.

I edited it for you...

Bob
tufcj

ironman_gq
02-13-2008, 03:02 PM
I think everyone should be reminded to check the oiling hole in the cam gear and the fuel pump eccentric to make sure they are clear in order to avoid this type of problem. DAMN quality control :(: :(: :(: :(: :(: :(:

Mudrat
02-13-2008, 06:36 PM
#20 = we aren't going to make #14 by Valentines day (tomorrow)

I'm disappointed. We were doing good for a couple days :smile:

GO VOTE!!!

slagburn
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
So, I opened up the oil hole, installed new gears and fired it up.
Question. I run an MSD Pro-Billet dizzy with locked out timing. So I'm not feeling the weights move or anything. I can rock the shaft back and forth about 10 degrees or so. Is this normal, seems loose? It's an OEM cover, single gasket only and endplay on the dizzy is minimal.

ironman_gq
02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
do your gears mesh properly? or is there a lot of slack in your timing chain if it wasnt oiling and you only replaced the gears it probably stretched a lot.

slagburn
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Do they mesh properly? That was kind of the point of my question, I don't know. The only way to tell would be to put Prussian Blue on, I guess. The cam chain does not come into play here as the cam is stationary and I am feeling the backlash in the distributor gear.

slagburn
02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
New gear on the cam failed. 20 minutes of run time, backfire and quit. The distributor gear looks fine, the cam gear furballed. Crown gears. Did a redneck hardness test with a scribe. Dealer gear didn't get scratched, Crown gear has deep scratch.

tufcj
02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
There are 3-4 different known "flavors" of cam/dist gears out there. Each have a slightly different hardness and pitch to the gears. They should ALWAYS be replaced in matched pairs, otherwise the mesh may not be right, and you end up with one eating the other.

Bulltear has new AMERICAN MADE sets. Get them at the e-store.

Bob
tufcj

slagburn
02-14-2008, 01:38 PM
order sent.

maccj5
02-19-2008, 08:44 PM
i had this happen with a msd pro-billet the one thing i didnt notice at first is the dizzy would wobble when it was running if you see it wobbling at all shut it down mine ate its lunch the day before leaving for moab it was within 20 miles of installing it and drove it home i got 100 yards from home and it popped backfired and quit dizzy gear was fine cam gear was junk

76-cj7
02-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Dont feel too bad maccj5...........my msd did the exact same except it last a few weeks or a couple hundred miles before it pooped.....took a old shitty chipped dist gear :? tossed it on just so i could drive it home and have said the hell with it :!: and havent touched since and its running grrreat! :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad