PDA

View Full Version : Recent oil pressure increase

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mika01
02-20-2008, 08:23 AM
About 4 months ago, installed new oil pump gears, spring and plunger and resulted in 40Lbs pressure cold idle, 15-20lbs hot idle, 40 lbs hot highway.

Went wheeling all day Saturday and on the drive back I noticed the pressure increased to: 70Lbs pressure cold idle, 40lbs hot idle, 60 lbs hot highway. So did an oil & filter change (Wix 1626), started her up and same thing. So I got thinking maybe the plunger is stuck? So removed the nut, spring came out but had to use an antenna magnet thingy to get the plunger out. Once out it di move freely. Put everything back together and still have higher usual oil pressures.

Should I be concerned? Or be happy with the increase and not worry about it?
Thanks

jeepsr4ever
02-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Interesting! I would be concerned but not scared at this point. Maybe your sending unit is bad.

ironman_gq
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
maybe when you put the new gears in the gasket didnt compress properly and as it ran the gasket decided to compress and the tolerances in the pump tightened up. see if any of the adapter bolts are looser than they were.

mika01
02-20-2008, 10:48 AM
maybe when you put the new gears in the gasket didnt compress properly and as it ran the gasket decided to compress and the tolerances in the pump tightened up. see if any of the adapter bolts are looser than they were.
You know you might be on to something. Just went to check and was able to turn all bolts an additionnal 4-6 degrees. Not much but a little.

mika01
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Well went for a longer drive and warmed up when the RPM's fall below 800 pressure drops below the 25 mark on the Autometer gauge. Looks like I'll installing the HRC gears and thin gasket.

maccj5
03-29-2008, 11:58 PM
metal parts coming apart and causing a restriction in the oiling passages? ive seen it happen low oil pressure causing engine damage causing metal restricting oil passages causing high oil pressure just before the kaboom just the 2c

Bulltear Ad