PDA

View Full Version : Adapting single stage DS pump to AMC cover

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

tarior
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I was looking at the Indy AMC timing cover/oil pump setup, and I really like it, but $1020 + shipping seems a little steep.
I was wondering how difficult and pricey it would be to adapt one of these to the stock timing cover.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aviaid-dry-sump-oil-Pump-Keith-Black_W0QQitemZ250218175912QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m250218175912
OR
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SINGLE-STAGE-EXTERNAL-OIL-PUMP-SBC-SBF-DRY-SUMP-MOROSO_W0QQitemZ370026044578QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em370026044578

ironman_gq
02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
might be doable but youd have to make some fancy adapter and a shaft to drive it, but someone can probably do it. I wonder why it hasnt been done yet, or maybe it has I dont know.

tarior
02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm sure it would take some machine work, it might be cheaper to just buy the Indy piece and be done with it.

jeep_man_401
02-25-2008, 11:29 PM
The down side to the indy cover is that the oil doesn't go back into the engine in the stock location. I had the oil pressure sending hole on the block opened up and feed the oil back into the engine there.

Oil pressure is taken now from a hole that I had to drill and tapped into the Indy cover! You need to get a remote filter housing and alot of AN fittings and lines to get the Indy cover to work.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/jeep_man_401/oilpanlinesillistrated.jpg
If I did it again, I would run a single line from the oil pan I think.

After that you will never have another oil pressure problem again. 40lbs at idle to 100+psi if you dare at anything above idle!

The cover is thicker and made of a better alum. than stock. The pump is rebuildable. The only other thing I've noticed is the oil pressure takes a few seconds to build on start-up. Synthetic oil helps...think its a combo of all the lines the oil runs through and the oil pump gears.

If you are going to run a AMC v8 and keep it for a rebuild or 2, its a good invenstment.

jeepsr4ever
02-26-2008, 09:41 AM
I bet if you run just one line it wouldnt take any time at all to build up.

tarior
02-26-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't mind having to run pressure in through the oil pressure port, no biggie there. For as much $$ as Indy wants, it should come with the lines and filter relocation kit.
MC, you should become an Indy distributor.
One other question, does it load the distributor/cam gears the way the stock pump does, or is it a little easier on the drive?

jeepsr4ever
02-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Its harder on the gears when you are using a higher pressure.

jeep_man_401
02-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Its harder on the gears when you are using a higher pressure.

I have a set of MCs gears in mine. :lo1l: I wouldn't install a Indy cover without MCs dissy and cam gears!

Also set the oil pressure lower on the cover before you start it up...I wiped out the stock gears pretty fast when I was breaking the motor in and had to do a tear down and replace again. :(:

What are you going to use the motor in? Indys cover might be alittle overkill. Another thing to consider is, are the lines going to get caught on something you are driving through or over...

amxvetaddic
03-09-2008, 12:50 AM
The down side to the indy cover is that the oil doesn't go back into the engine in the stock location. I had the oil pressure sending hole on the block opened up and feed the oil back into the engine there.

Oil pressure is taken now from a hole that I had to drill and tapped into the Indy cover! You need to get a remote filter housing and alot of AN fittings and lines to get the Indy cover to work.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/jeep_man_401/oilpanlinesillistrated.jpg
If I did it again, I would run a single line from the oil pan I think.

After that you will never have another oil pressure problem again. 40lbs at idle to 100+psi if you dare at anything above idle!

The cover is thicker and made of a better alum. than stock. The pump is rebuildable. The only other thing I've noticed is the oil pressure takes a few seconds to build on start-up. Synthetic oil helps...think its a combo of all the lines the oil runs through and the oil pump gears.

If you are going to run a AMC v8 and keep it for a rebuild or 2, its a good invenstment.
I have the same set up, but I dont think the line that comes from pan to the block does anything due to the Indy cover has no provision for oil to get to pump.

jeepsr4ever
03-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Wow good call on that one! Your right. I had talked to Russ at Indywhen they came out with this cover. I asked him if they could adapt it to the stock gallies he said yes but was very hesitant to sell the pump at any kind of margin. At that point he wanted $1200 per unit and they would sell for $1200 :?:

tarior
03-09-2008, 03:47 PM
The way Indy does business, I almost think I would rather pay my machinist to fit one of those pumps I linked onto a stock cover and plumb it in through the oil pressure port.

Bulltear Ad