PDA

View Full Version : amc 360 oil pressure

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mr.CJ-7
02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I have just completed a rebuild on my 1987 360 and went to prime the motor through the distributor hole and my gauge is saying i have no pressure. So I took the line off at the gauge end and there is no oil getting to the end of the line. But when I am priming it oil will rise in the timing cover and come out the distributor hole. When I took off the oil filter it was full of oil and when I took off the bypass it also had oil in it. Did I by chance not put something together right. Thanks for any help.

FuzzFace2
02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Beside the 2 plugs at the back and if not in you would have a mess on the floor you have some behind the timing cover. IIRC 3 and one of them is behind one of the other ones.
Maybe some one knows more than me?
Dave ----

tufcj
02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Simple question.... Are you spinning the pump the right direction? #-o It only pumps one way.

You'll know if it's pumping, it will darn near stall a 1/2" drill. You might try pumping some oil down the filter hole to prime the pump.

Only other thing is clearance from the pickup to the bottom of the pan. Did you install the plastic spacer of an equivalent?

Bob
tufcj

Mr.CJ-7
02-25-2008, 01:20 PM
I believe I am spinning it the right way I have tried it both ways and going forward on the drill is the only way it pumps oil the other way it runs dry. I don't think there is a spacer under the pickup. But I don't know why it would pump up in the timing cover and not have any pressure.

73hornut
02-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Leaking cover gasket?

tarior
02-25-2008, 07:57 PM
If you have oil coming out of the distributor hole, I would suspect that the front galley plugs are out of the block.

ironman_gq
02-25-2008, 09:38 PM
definately sounds like the front galley plugs. pull the timing cover and timing chain and look at the front of the block for two plugs, one on each side of the cam. If they were missing all the oil you were pumping would just be pumped into the timing cover but you wouldnt build any pressure in the system.

Mr.CJ-7
02-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Tore it apart tonight and the front plugs are out of it. Thanks for all the replies. After checking out this site I think I will be buying a new oil filter adapter and some other stuff from Bulltear there is a lot of really nice products hear.

Mr.CJ-7
02-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Got it all back together tonight. Spun the oil pump and got 70 psi of oil presser. Thanks for the help.

FuzzFace2
02-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Good to hear you got it fixed :lo1l:

Now you found out first hand why you prime the system :t:
Dave ----

dltowers
01-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Got it all back together tonight. Spun the oil pump and got 70 psi of oil presser. Thanks for the help.

Can you reply with advice.
My recently rebuilt 360 has no oil pressure at idle, and maybe 30-35 when reved up?
The mechanic says the oil pump is primed?
Also the lifters are making an excessive amount of noise, and I know they are not adjustable.
Could it be that the mechanic forgot to install the Front Oil Galley Plugs?
Any suggestions/recommendation would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dickie
Email: dufflebag51@aol.com

jeepsr4ever
01-17-2014, 09:50 AM
No oil pressure and lifter noise usually means you lost at least one lifter

tufcj
01-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Did it have oil pressure, then lose it, or has it never had pressure. What was rebuilt? Were the cam bearings replaced during rebuild?

Most of the motors that I've seen that drop to 0 hot have bad cam bearings. Pull the valve covers, make sure all the push rods are in place. If a bridge has snapped, it's possible that a lifter is out of it's bore, like MC said.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad