PDA

View Full Version : REAR END NOISE GRAND CHEROKEE ????

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jimbolac
02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
I just had pinion bearings ,races and seals replaced in rear end (dana35)of my 97 grand cherokee. Supposedly this was the cause of my whirring noise I was hearing from the rear of vehicle.Yes these parts needed to be replaced as race was pitted and discolored and bearing was starting to bind or whatever you would call it. Axle bearings were ok. I now still have the noise but not as pronounced but noise appears about 25-30 mph rather than earlier. Carrier bearings,Rotor out of round , tire out of balance or whatever? Anybody have any thoughts ? All replies are greatly appreciated.Vehicle has 175,00 miles but has 100,000 mile motor, new rad ,new brakes.ball joint etc trans shifts great and transfer case is checked out and works ok. My $500 jeep is rapidly reaching book value!! thanks Jim L.

tufcj
02-29-2008, 09:35 PM
At 175K, if the pinion bearings were bad, the gears themselves may have worn an odd pattern if they were run for any length of time. Putting it back to original with new bearings won't help. You'll probably just have to live with the noise, or buy a new set of gears and have them set up again with new bearings.

Bob
tufcj

dan58
02-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Check out mallcrawlin.com jeepsunlimited.com and other Jeep forums. You can probably pick up another whole axle for free.

Goose
03-01-2008, 09:30 AM
:shock: at 175k miles I would expect that all the bearings are used up, and the ring and pinion would have some serious wear.. I mean after all 1 mile is a lot of trips round and round for a ring and pinion, let alone 175 thousand miles..
But, a "whirring noise" could come from a lot of places on a 4x.. transfer case, ujoints, tires..

Im' not trying to be a smart ass.. it is just a lot of miles, and the wierd noises you can get out of them are tough to diagnose without doing crazy stuff like being dragged on a creeper under it down the street..(which you should only do if you are done with this life and ready to experience a horrible/interesting death, that may possibly offset the bad karma in this life and WILL CERTAINLY MAKE US ALL LAUGH)

mrtazwrench
03-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Around this year they had problems with the housings in the front for sure, not sure about the rear, they were not allowed proper cure time and some were impossable to get into spec. I was working at the dealer in 2000 and saw a fair amout of replacement housings go into almost new trucks.

ironman_gq
03-02-2008, 09:26 PM
replace the u-joints first, if that doesnt do it run a contact pattern on the gears to see how they are meshing, if they're worn weird a new set isnt too spendy if you can do the work yourself or get a tech school to do it for you.

jimbolac
03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you to all members for their input on my97 gr chk with the whirring rear end .It was the carrier bearings.All back together and hopefully quiet for now!!

Goose
03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Good Deal!

Mudrat
03-08-2008, 07:39 PM
My $500 jeep is rapidly reaching book value!! thanks Jim L.
Can't add anything to the discussion other than this is a GREAT quote :lo1l: :t:

Bulltear Ad