PDA

View Full Version : OH MY GOD my oil pressure is going to kill me i have no idea

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mike4089
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
my motor from a fresh rebuild always had bad oil pressure..i just replaced the oil pump and put on the filter relocator hung the filter on the fender...i also took the oil pan off because it was leaking in the rear....put the pan back on no leaks ran the motor today oil pressure was better 14 at idle and 40 down the road....took the jeep through the woods a little suddenly pressure barely would go abover 10 pounds...i got it back to the shop pulled it in shut it off and there is a really loud gargling noise coming from the pan...it was pretty loud and slowly go softer until it stopped a good 2-3 minutes after shut down.... is this my pick up sucking to the pan???? thats all i can think of im ready to throw my motor in a dumpster

mike4089
03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
oh and more more thing to add...when i pulled the oil pump housing off the spring came out just finebut the other little piece was stuck in there...i tried slamming it on the ground and was still stuck in there....i thought this would give me an increase in oil pressure when it gets stuck like that???

jeepsr4ever
03-10-2008, 05:14 PM
If you plunger gets stuck at the bottom you will have to great a oil pressure. If it gets stuck in the middle (more common) you will have very low oil pressure. I would suspect you may have a cracked pickup tube and a scored oil filter adaptor (If its new just remove the plunger and clean). You should also be able to see the plunger from where the oil filter screws on. You can use a small screwdriver to pry it back a 1/4" and then it should slide out. If it doesnt well that may have been the issue.

mike4089
03-10-2008, 05:25 PM
well i took off the oil filter adapter and put on the one from bull tear with the relocator kit...the plunger was jammed in there pretty good and i left it in the old piece and replaced it with a new spring and plunger in the new piece...my oil pressure when cold is around 55 but it jumps around...motor runs really smooth and the oil pressure with be 55 then 40 then 60 and so forth....so tell me whats my first step here....can i replace the pickup tube easily??? if i remember correctly to spin it it hits the motor mount??? should i use some thread sealer when putting it on??? im at the end here and i just done know where to start and whats the gargling noise?? its defiently not the draining sound when the oil drains back in the pan...

jeepsr4ever
03-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I wonder if you have a leaky timing cover gasket :-|

mike4089
03-10-2008, 05:58 PM
there is nothing leaking from anywhere except there was a small drop from the oil pan which is why i pulled the pan and did the new pump and relocator at the same time

jeepsr4ever
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
First I suspect drain back and next I suspect a worn pump cover.

mike4089
03-11-2008, 04:55 AM
oil pump cover is brand new as are the gears...if drain back how do i fix...it has a brand new fram filter the one for the ford v8's

ironman_gq
03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
fram filters are probably your problem!! They are JUNK :(:

ol' school power
03-12-2008, 07:23 PM
How steady is the idle rpm while the oil pressure is fluctuating?

mike4089
03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
idle rpm is very steady...i think its my oil pan and pick up tube...im pretty sure the clearance was way to close since theres a mark on the bottom of the inside of the pan...i got a new pan on the way and pick up tube hopefully that fixes it

ol' school power
03-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Measure the clearance and adjust it before you call the job done.

Dusty
04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
oil pump cover is brand new as are the gears...if drain back how do i fix...it has a brand new fram filter the one for the ford v8's

A fram filter made all the difference in oil pressure issues to one of my old motors

73hornut
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Braze a 1/4in nut on the bottom of the pic-up tube, to keep it off the pan.

mike4089
04-03-2008, 04:35 PM
i measured the clearance and its right about a tad under 9/16's of an inch so i know thats good...im gonna get rid of my fram filter this weekend and hope for the best...if not im running it till it dies and thats it

Bulltear Ad