PDA

View Full Version : Officially have sticker shock :shock:

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

tufcj
03-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Filled up my truck last night. Cheapest diesel in town (west of Chicago) was $4.06 a gallon. Nearly $90 for a 22 gallon fill. :shock: :shock:

Guess I'll be riding the motorcycle to work a lot more this summer.

Bob
tufcj

76-cj7
03-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Diesel around here jump up to $4.25 a gallon and 87 gas jumped to $3.38..............i think im going to stop driving th jeep and ride my bicycle to work haha :t:

dan58
03-14-2008, 08:04 AM
$4.19 here... :(:

jeep_man_401
03-16-2008, 03:46 AM
My dad drives semi in all 48 states. Got an email from him this last week saying he can spend up to $600 a day and has heard to not to worry about $4 a gal but that $5 was a possibility. I think maybe $5 next year if something doesn't change.
If you wonder how someone can still drive truck at $600 a day fuel costs at todays prices...I don't know either! Wait till stores raise prices because of shipping costs. Pass it on, pass it on. #-o thanks Bush :(:

ironman_gq
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
we can thank China and OPEC for our current problems. China is using more oil and OPEC is holding out on us. :(:

jeep_man_401
03-17-2008, 04:48 AM
I say if you can't grow enough corn like they claim and they don't have cellulose E85 ready yet then we should start importing ethanol from Brazil and TOTALY replace gas from oil in 10 years. Screw the Mideast! Brazil hasn't been at war for the last, well forever like the Mideast. Its closer (less shipping cost) you would have it already processed.

Let them make diesel out of oil instead. That way prices should go down and we can bring everybody home.

Oh wait we can never go home now, with all that oil over there, because if Alkida got ahold of it because we destabilized the Mideast by taking out one nut and replaced him with 10,000 nuts #-o they would gain control of the world supply of oil.

Its an oil war and now will always be an oil war until we find a replacement!

Ibby
03-17-2008, 09:25 AM
...we should start importing ethanol from Brazil...

Not likely to happen, they're facing fuel shortages there as well. They're a huge consumer of fossil fuels and they're starting to eye the green fuel market in hopes of keeping up with demand.
Although I hate where I live in Canada it's the cheapest place in the country for gas and we're already paying the equivalent of $4.30 a gallon. Back in my home town it's about $4.75. :(:

rollen dean montoya
03-17-2008, 03:16 PM
i'm paying $3.49 a gollon and i have to set the pump for 20 bucks just to make sure my gold wing is filled.

ironman_gq
03-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Im thinking natural gas is more viable than ethanol. its cheaper to produce and if we didnt have so much red-tape enviromentalist bullshit we could access a huge reserve just off of our very own shores. Same deal with oil in the Pacific. we cant drill it because greenies dont like it but China can and they are. they are drilling where our lawmakers wont let us and its closer to our shores than China's

jeep_man_401
03-17-2008, 08:40 PM
i'm paying $3.49 a gollon and i have to set the pump for 20 bucks just to make sure my gold wing is filled.

I'm waiting for it to get warm out to bust out my Goldwing also...I remember when $5 was hard to get in a tank! #-o
Have you ever tried to mix e85 and gas on your wing?

Goose
03-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Dont do it.. I tried it on my wing.. if you are carbed you cant get big enough jets to richen it up.. and a fuelie?? I dont know if you can remap those or not.. but one little mistake and I wow! I have the burned vales and blue headers to prove that it was not cost effective..! with the choke full on it was that lean!

jeep_man_401
03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Wow...was that straight e85? I have run a mix in the car at times up to about 50/50 but got and engine light on at the 50/50 mix.
I suppose cycles are alittle different though.
But yes my Wing is a carb '88. Currently looking for new or good used mufflers. :mrgreen:

Goose
03-18-2008, 06:04 PM
well it was 75% E-85 and 25% regular.. (which in Nebraska has 10% etahnol in it to start with..

at the 50 50 level it was hard to start and had no power.. you needed to run the choke out a ways (and that killed any cost savings right there..)

jeep_man_401
03-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Funny here in town SA sells and sets the price of all the gasoline except E85. Another station down the main drag sells E85 but is harder to get into and out of.
I read an article on the 'mixer pumps' that mix the amount you want at the pump. Alot easier than trying to guess how many gallons you have in the tank to get your right mix. You just switch it for what ratio you want and you get it.

I was thinking around 1/4 per gallon of E85. I've mixed my truck to around 50/50 but its got the 2X4Bbls set-up and good compression.

The key is to get a carb made for E85...but then you are limited to stations that carry it. In MN you have to plot out a route with a map of E85 stations to run dedicated E85.(tons of compression) otherwise going from pump to pump and trying to mix it isn't a long term solution. But it would be interesting to see it work.

BREK
03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I haven't seen it in person but i have been told in Wisconsin they sell e98. Supposedly the only reason it is 98% rather than 100% is so you cant drink it?

tufcj
03-19-2008, 09:27 AM
I recently saw a sticker on a E85 pump here in Illinois: "Contains no less than 70% ethanol". Isn't E85 supposed to be 85%?

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
03-19-2008, 05:18 PM
The Hemi doesn't like 10% very well. I even add suppliments to keep the top end lubricated! Tell me again where the cost savings are?? :oops:

jeep_man_401
03-20-2008, 04:16 AM
The Hemi doesn't like 10% very well. I even add suppliments to keep the top end lubricated! Tell me again where the cost savings are??

Guys, I believe some people think Detroit is turning out just super vehicles and all. BUT if they would use all the money and technology they put into the latest traction, ABS, steering controls etc etc we would have a car that gets 50mpg and is bigger than a VW instead of a car that can park itself or call someone if you run into a tree. :(: 111!!! #-o

Racers have used alcohol forever. You have to design the engine and car to take advantage of it. Of course you don't get the power, mpg out of it when you can't use it to its fullest. Running E85 in a modern car or truck with 9 to 1 is like running a gas engine with 7 to 1.

Same thing for all the people that put Prem. gas in a minivan because "it’s good for it, or I get better mileage" No cost savings.
#-o

Gas from oil is no longer the answer...time to break free from the Mideast craziness. With the USA importing its oil and exporting its coal, we are at the tip of the iceberg.

All they need to do is to hit one refinery and we are screwed...spending billions and billions and billions to stabilize a sandbox isn't getting us anywhere is it?

Mudrat
03-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Gas from oil is no longer the answer...time to break free from the Mideast craziness. With the USA importing its oil and exporting its coal, we are at the tip of the iceberg.
All they need to do is to hit one refinery and we are screwed...spending billions and billions and billions to stabilize a sandbox isn't getting us anywhere is it?
Agree- look at the storms in the last couple years in the Gulf! We get hit down south and gas prices are astronomical.

ironman_gq
03-24-2008, 05:06 PM
the reason that e85 isnt exactly 85 percent ethanol is the same reason that e10 can have as much as 15 percent ethanol. the industry as far as I know is based on averages and is far from exact. I found an article online once that explained it pretty well. If someone can find the article please post it.

dan58
03-24-2008, 07:38 PM
I finally dropped $100+ (108 to be exact) in my Dodge for diesel. The sad part is that I still had 9 gallons in my tank. :shock:

Bulltear Ad