PDA

View Full Version : 1977 jeep buildup

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

arhame
03-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Hello All,

Ok, I updated the website from pictures of what I've done this year. You can see in the later pictures, the dash that I've assembled and the heater cables missing.

So close to being finished, yet still so far..............

http://www.meangreenjeep.com

hotratz
03-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Pretty fine! :lo1l:

Mudrat
04-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Nice Vett ... 76?

Other than that, GREAT project!! I really like what you're doing and the workmanship. Sorry about the control cables though :oops:

I got different WARN sliders that didn't have hte notch and it's caused me some greif on the YJ. I built my own for the CJ to compensate for the flairs.

arhame
04-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the response.

The vette is a 69 convertable with a 427.

I hit a small setback on Thursday. After MUCH deliberation and pondering, I decided to redo my bottom end setup.

I've ordered a set of currie Ford 9 inch differentials with 4.56 gears to swap out the existing diffs. I'm also going to change out my quadratrac transfer case for an Atlas II 4.3:1.

I originally had no intentions of going this drastic with the jeep, so I started with the bottom end, and worked my way up. I ended up with much larger tires than I originally planned for (I first purchased 31's, then went to 33's and finally stuck with 35's)(sad part is, the jeep has only been out of the garage once, and that was to push to the back yard for the body install).

With the 360 having dyno'd out at 408 HP, I've finally concluded that I was going to end up destroying that AMC 20 rear diff.

Now, I feel confident that this should be a fairly bullet-proof jeep / trail rig. I really don't plan on doing any hard rock-crawling with it, so hopefully I shouldn't ever experience any issues.

Thanks again for all the responses and if anyone has any clues on where to locate the heater cables for this monster (even used ones would be VERY appreciated and I would expect to financially compensate anyone who can assist me with this) I could finally finish this thing.

Aubrey

dwg86
04-06-2008, 05:13 AM
I bought new heater cables for my cj5. www.jeepdoc.com has good prices, also check evilbay. Nice Jeep! What's the color?

hugh
04-06-2008, 05:57 AM
http://www.gemini-sales.com/
Try these guys, they have lots of parts. Maybe consider making your own cables, a good bicycle shop or old time motorcycle shop should have bulk cable with all the ends and ferrules, etc you need to fab up a cable.

arhame
04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
The color of the jeep is an olive drab green from a 1998 GMC Fleet Vehicle. We took the color codes and flattened it out a bit (too glossy for me).

My original intention was to have the entire body powder coated, but, after the media blasting, I realized that I couldn't.

So, I took the jeep down to the Maaco in Austin, had them prep the metal, and shoot it. We also laid down bed liner on the inside of the tub (black) and the sprayed the entire underneath of the tub with bed liner that was dyed to match the paint (green).

I've found a few places now that could make the cable's for me if I could provide the correct diminsions. I have a couple of companies attempting to find me a used set of cables, that I could use to get the specs from.

This is something that I had no earthly idea that would be the entire hold-up of the project (heater cables).

Eventually I plan on creating a journal for the website that can detail all of the shi - wait - work I went through in this project.

I purchased the jeep on the day before Thanksgiving in 2003, got it home the day after Thanks giving 2003 (Friday), drove it saturday and sunday, and finally, on Monday, disassembled the entire jeep (every freaking bolt).

Now, over 5 years later, I'm so close to being done, I can taste it.

I'll keep you updated on how it's going.

Thanks again.

dan58
04-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Did you get a HP 9? I'd be very wary if you got a Currie HP9 in the front. It's not going to handle that sort of power. In the rear, a LP 9 is the only way to go (unless you get a tru Hi9). With the LP, you'll need to point it up a bit for pinion angle.

arhame
04-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Hey dan58.

No, I didn't go with the HP9 because of the potential clearance issue with the driveshaft and oilpan.

I'm using one of bulltear's .100 thick 7.5 quart oilpans and, from what the guy at currie told me, that I might even experience clearance issue with the stock pan. So, they did NOT reccomend that for the front.

I was told that I should have the diff's here in about 3 weeks, so hopefully that should be the incentive to complete this thing.

I believe I'm going to go with the Atlas II 4.3 case and use cable shifters vs stick.

tufcj
04-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Probably too late for you, but since I had the option when I went to the fiberglass body on my 77, I went with the 78-up heater. Requires that you cut a hole in the firewall for the fan motor, and new holes for the heater hoses. I also like the fresh air vent. I got the whole thing for free from a guy stripping a Jeep for a SCORE racer.

I looked to see if I still had the early heater and cables, but I don't .

Bob
tufcj

arhame
04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I found the jeep part numbers for these pieces today.

J5459175 is the temp cable
J5459176 is the defrost cable
J5460034 is the fresh air cable.

I was able to find the J5460034 cable at a jeep dealership in Milford Connecticut. Hopefully I will have that one next week. Still looking for the other two.

Went out to the Boulder Creek off-road park this past Saturday in a new 2008 Jeep. I was very impressed with what this new one could do without any modifications. We stuck to the class 1 and class 2 trails, but, stock, it was very capable.

BREK
04-07-2008, 02:24 PM
I work for a jeep dealership in Mn, I just checked the 2 part#'s you still need and there isnt a single dealer in the nation that shows them in stock. Short of finding someone that has a warehouse of nos parts you unfortuinately won't be able to get new ones.

Blown7
04-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Nice build, reminds me of mine. They sure take some time.

Jeff

arhame
04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow Blown7,

I was looking at the specs on your Jeep and was wondering if you were using this thing for drag racing or something similar. Would LOVE to see some pics.

Thanks for the response.

Mudrat
04-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow Blown7,

I was looking at the specs on your Jeep and was wondering if you were using this thing for drag racing or something similar. Would LOVE to see some pics.

Thanks for the response.
Have you seen this thread? http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7404 It'll 'blow' your mind :mrgreen:

I'm waiting to see the whole setup on the frame :idea:

arhame
04-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Simply Put: DAMN.

That is a serious piece of hardware.

I have quite a few bulltear products on my 360, including the nickel timing cover, oil-pump setup, remote oil filter, pushrods, oilpan, rockers, thermostat housing, oil filler neck, billet oil filler cap (and some other components I can't think of at the moment - long day with work). All I need now, is the bulltear wheelie bars for the CJ7 and I'm set.......

arhame
04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
UPDATE

The office got in from lunch today and a package from UPS was at the door. I had ordered a replacement shifter for my 87 wranger from J&W AutoWreckers out of California (www.jwjeep.com)

I had asked them also about the heater cables for my 77, but they didn't have anything.

Well, in the box, along with the shifter, were a set of heater cables for my 77. They weren't in the best of shape, but at least now I have the actual specs on what I need to reproduce. I boxed up the cables and shipped them off to Motion Control Technologies in New Jersey (www.mctcable.com) for them to reproduce for me in a high quality braided stainless steel version.

Thankfully I hope I have now found my last piece of this puzzle.

I'll make sure and take pics of the new cables so everyone can see.

Mudrat
04-08-2008, 01:04 PM
=D> =D> =D>

Lots of pics and spec them out as well.
When they get them made, note the manufacting job number so others in your shoes can call and ask for them!!

GOOD JOB!!!!!

Blown7
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Simply Put: DAMN.

That is a serious piece of hardware.

I have quite a few bulltear products on my 360, including the nickel timing cover, oil-pump setup, remote oil filter, pushrods, oilpan, rockers, thermostat housing, oil filler neck, billet oil filler cap (and some other components I can't think of at the moment - long day with work). All I need now, is the bulltear wheelie bars for the CJ7 and I'm set.......

Just having Bulltear stuff installed makes it go faster :!:

Jeff

arhame
04-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I am still anxiously waiting for the billet AMC air cleaner from bulltear that's a guaranteed extra 100 ponies............

Mudrat
04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm still looking for the bottom half of my ALT bracket [GOT IT!!] and the serpentine setup for the 360 :wink: :?

arhame
04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Oh drool. I would be definately up for a complete serpentine belt system for this puppy.

Can we have this be our official request for the next great product from bulltear?

Mudrat. Are you simply needing a replacment alternator bracket, OR a better engineered version? Hopefully, I'm not the only one that feels that the factory alternator bracket is, well, let's say not so well engineered item. I guess, that being said, the power steering bracket setup is a little less than desirable also.

We really do need a serpentine system.

Ok, back to work so i can afford this stuff......

1980_Cj7
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Hopefully, I'm not the only one that feels that the factory alternator bracket is, well, let's say not so well engineered item

No, you are not. I'm right there with you. Although it seems way over complicated, Rube Goldberg, and has way too many pieces, when you do have all the braces and put it together right, I have to admit, it is very solid. Just doesn't seem like it should have to be that difficult.

Same with the timing cover with umpteen different length/size bolts and studs that bolt it up.

arhame
04-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Amen to that on on the bolts.

I ended up losing one of the bolts that fastened the timing chain cover / water pump to the block, that was threaded on both ends, and the power steering bracket mounted over. I wanted to find a stainless bolt (all the other bolts I used were stainless) and ended up having to have one made. ~$180.00 by the time it was over....

Sheesh, Just Empty Every Pocket

Mudrat
04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Amen to that on on the bolts.

I ended up losing one of the bolts that fastened the timing chain cover / water pump to the block, that was threaded on both ends, and the power steering bracket mounted over. I wanted to find a stainless bolt (all the other bolts I used were stainless) and ended up having to have one made. ~$180.00 by the time it was over....

Sheesh, Just Empty Every Pocket
I've been worried about breaking that rusty damned thing, and I did one. thinking maybe a piece of all thread and running the nut down to hold the cover and spacers for the PS Bracket. Anyway, I only have one left, the one on the engine #-o

OK, new priority for MC
1. MAKE THAT FRIGG'N BOLT!!!
2. The ALT setup usable with A/C (or as a bonus, a combo mount for the ALT and A/C - both types of course, for those of us who want on-board air :idea: )
3. Serpintine belt setup
4. 2-piece timing cover.

How say the masses? These sound about right??

Goose
04-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Yep, I'm on board with that..

(pssst Rat?, You forgot "get married" in that list..)

Mudrat
04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Yep, I'm on board with that..

(pssst Rat?, You forgot "get married" in that list..)
Well a couple problems there:
1. MC to make a wife for the masses?? :-| She would have to be good looking, a natural mechanic, a gourmet cook and the best, uhh, the best, ummm, partner in bed :wink: Even the great MC can't do that!!

2. Ever wonder why MC hasn't mentioned anything about that since last fall? Maybe cold feet over the winter, but . . . :-|
And if he does have his batchelors party before August, it'll be 14,000 miles for me to come visit #-o

Bulltear Ad