PDA

View Full Version : Mild 360 build

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

adamsclarke
03-30-2008, 10:18 PM
OK...I'm looking at building a 360 for my commando when the 304 dies, so I thought I'd start early.
I have a good shape 360 long block. I'm planning on freshing up the bottom end, rebuilding the heads, roller rockers, gasket match the headers, cam, and Multiport FI.

What type of power numbers would I be loooking at with these mods? I want to be over 300hp and have a reliable motor for my crawler. I've been reading up on the oiling mods etc....and just want to build a strong, reliable, fuel injected motor.

Second..are the edelbrock pro flow heads really worth the $$$ or would rebuilding the stock heads be better $$ spent.

adamsclarke
03-30-2008, 10:19 PM
here's the where the power's needed :shock:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/adamsclarke/smile.gif

ironman_gq
03-31-2008, 08:44 AM
for a crawler the roller rockers might be overkill. I think your money would be better spent on a good cam and a slight bump in compression to something around 9:1. Injection sounds like a great idea but a multiport is going to be very expensive, for about half the price you can get a TBI setup and have very similar power levels.

adamsclarke
03-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Yeah...I know the multiport is very $$$. I;ve seen howell etc for the TBI for half of the cost...but I do like the complete matched package from edelbrock. It seems tuning will be easier with the mulitport kit since it was designed around it's own programmer.

Of course...if I go with TBI, I could always do that and a cam swap to my 304 and be better on power????

This is my first engine build from scratch...and with a baby on the way...I do need to save $$$...but would TBI and cam swap along with a little grinding on the heads and headers...give me around 300 on my 304?

ironman_gq
03-31-2008, 02:11 PM
probaly not with the 304 but it could be done pretty easily with the 360. Im not sure of a combo but many of the people on this forum have engines that make way more than 300hp. I think the 360 would be a great buildup if you keep it relatively simple it shouldnt cost too much. I would go with a bump in compression a cam ground to give strong low end grunt from idle to 4000rpm or something close as a crawler doesnt need to wind to high. The efi is also probably a good choice if you dont mind spending a little more cash.

jeepsr4ever
03-31-2008, 07:41 PM
:-| I like that bugger

fifesjeep
04-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I never liked the look of the Commandos but that is actually pretty good looking.... maybe it's the tires :mrgreen:

Goose
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Commandos are cool.. (I could have done without the late model grill change but the earlier ones ..)

anyway 300 hp, thats pretty easy out of a good basic bottom end and the bolt ons you are talking about. For oyur application I would clean up the stock heads (maybe replace the valve springs while they are apart)
I would bet , with a decent torque cam like Edelbrocks and the EFI and headers, and upgrade the ignition like mallory you should see 300 hp, And more importantly for your application about 300+ ft lbs torque..

Bulltear Ad