PDA

View Full Version : shaft length (get your mind out of the gutter)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

navybee
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
This is probably a stupid question. What is the length of the oil pump shaft. I tried to install my dizzy with the new gear and would not seat all the way down. Took the oil pump apart and took the the oil gears out and the dizzy went in. Tried putting the the gear back in and it stuck out of the pump housing. I measured the shaft from the top of the gear and it measured 4 and 13/16. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

BREK
04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Are you using a stock timing cover, pump gears, shaft, and dizzy? or aftermarket stuff?

navybee
04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
crown replacement cover, matched dizzy gears from bulltear, dui dizzy and oil pump gears from advance.

jeepsr4ever
04-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Is that a cover you got from us?

fifesjeep
04-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I tried to install my dizzy with the new gear and would not seat all the way down.
Did you make sure the everything lined up correctly? Rotated the oil pump shaft etc?

Took the oil pump apart and took the the oil gears out and the dizzy went in.
Sounds like the tong wasn't sliding into the slot etc... If you have the gear out see if it slides into the bottom of the distributor gear... if it does then you didn't align it properly.

Tried putting the the gear back in and it stuck out of the pump housing.
Are you saying the gear is sticking out from case? Hmmm, push a little harder 8) ... Just teasing. If it was in there before you took it out it should go back in... Where are the old gears? Match them up...
What's the I.D. of the gear? :oops: .490" or there abouts? Are these the hardened gears by chance :-| I now go to advance auto or Napa and get the stock gears. What is the diameter of the HEI shaft?
Advance has a couple sets that I normally go with...
Melling Oil Pump Kit p/n K85 for $16.46
or
AE Clevite Oil Pump Kit p/n 6011260 for $28.99
Go there and compare the two with the one that you have :wink:
I jusr re-read what you wrote.. Crown Replacement Cover??? I'd rather go to the junk yard and nab a cover from a waggy... Making sure the distributor gear is in good condition (Basically checking for proper alignment) Crown has some covers that weren't drilled correctly... I also check for cracks etc and finally I drop the bottom oil plate and check the surface but I'm mostly concerned with the inside walls... if they're not scratched or chewed I'll yank it for $13 and change... If the bottom plate has a few scratches I normally mill it and smooth it over to a glass finish... good as new and a lot cheaper than buying a new one :!:

fifesjeep
04-02-2008, 07:21 PM
So... What's the story? :razz: :t:

navybee
04-04-2008, 06:30 PM
will try to work on it sat. had to replace the faucet in the kitchen tonight after wife broke handle off. Hulk smash!!!

navybee
04-06-2008, 09:45 AM
got a new oil gear kit from napa and compared it to the one on hand. both of the shafts are the same length. While I was at it, I compared the housing of the dizzy (4 1/2) and the the priming tool (4 3/8) you sell. This 1/8 is about how far the oil gear is sticking out of the pump housing when put together. Do these numbers sound right? They were taken from where they would sit on the timing cover.
Thanks for all the help,
Rob

ps. don't know why the emoticon is showing up, nice tool, wouldn't bad mouth it

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/navybee/100_4319.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/navybee/100_4320.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/navybee/100_4321.jpg

pps: I don't mean to sound like a a$$ or anything but I have a son with Down's syndrome, could everybody keep the "retard" cracks to a minimum. Thanks

fifesjeep
04-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Can you post pics of the differences etc... So we can see what you are talking about.. (As you can imagine I need pictures in-order to understand)..... It's the retard gene that comes out from time to time. :oops:
Where did you get your goods at?

fifesjeep
04-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't mean to sound like a a$$ or anything but I have a son with Down's syndrome, could everybody keep the "retard" cracks to a minimum. Thanks
Hmmm :-| my bad dude, like I knew... #-o I have a cousin who has it... For me to say "retard gene" and not knowing your situation... #-o On the same note, It wasn't to crack on the physically/mentally disabled, it was just a figure of speech. I used to work with various children and adults on my side job before I went into the service... (I was a personal trainer for the young/old and challenged). So I know what it's like to have a family member and friends who have it... So, I mean no disrespect when I say some of the things I do... It's just how and who I am... With that being said and Knowing your situation I'll try to govern/monitor/control what and how I say things... (or type them) :mrgreen: (Hmmm :-| I'm starting to sound like the Government/F*ckers Behind It :oops: ).
Where did you get that tool from? It's hard to find quality tools anymore unless you pay top dollar... Even then, you don't get what you pay for!
It seems that QUALITY work is hard to find unless you do it yourself... Or if you have a strict QA program/standards. The people that work for me can't stand it when I have them make something. If there's a + .015" I'll give them + .005" I'm real cautious about sending $h!t out the door without checking it first... I can't stand looking/feeling like a Jack-off when parts comes back or people talk smack and say "it doesn't work", "it's too long" or "it's too short" etc... My new guy already burned me once on that... He made a part for a hydraulic cylinder... I told him not to worry about until the morning... Well, we knocked off and apparently he came back later that night made the part and gave it to the hydraulic shop :(: First, he used the wrong material, secondly all of his measurements were off... Needless to say, I chewed into him (and I'm a mellow/passive dude for the most part)... needless to say, he won't be doing that again... He's realizing how picky I am when it comes to machining... It has to look good, everything will be with-in spec and fully operational... If I had the money/opportunity to open a shop I'd do it in a heart beat... Like I mentioned earlier... Most places are about Quantity and not quality... they're more worried about lining their pockets as quickly as possible rather than making great products and getting more and more satisifed customers and lining the pockets more so in the later years... Greed man! It's Mans downfall...

jeepsr4ever
04-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Check the bottom of the housing where the gear is sitting and see if the cam gear has dented the aluminum. It is possible the stem on the distributor is a little too long.

Bulltear Ad