PDA

View Full Version : tips on dana 30 and model 20 setup

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

djaponi3
04-09-2008, 04:22 PM
does anyone have any tips for ring and pinion install on dana 30 and model 20 what are the minimum tools needed I already have a dial indicator I guess what I am asking are the do's and dont's on proper setup and how is carrier bearing preload and backlash determined when the shims go behind the carrier bearings that are pressed on does this require trial and error i.e. install the bearings uninstall the bearings etc thanks.

Mudrat
04-09-2008, 04:31 PM
RANDY'S RING and PINION (http://www.ringpinion.com/HowTo.aspx) has some good how to's on his page.
Basic tools set, a dial indicator with magnetic base, a torque wrench and some gear marking compound are about it. Setup bearings are a handy thing to have (read that as a REAL handy) to keep you from buggering up your new bearings :wink:

Oh ... and patience, lots of patience. I've never gotten a set right on the first go-'round :oops: So if you feel frustrated, grab a beer and watch the flowers grow for a while :mrgreen:

'Rat

fuzz401
04-09-2008, 05:48 PM
pull the old bearings off and make a set of set up bearings from them

tufcj
04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
A bearing splitter with a good puller or hydraulic press is a must. The bearings are all pressed on, most are in a place where you can't drive them off.

Buy a master kit for the Dana 30. Most master kits for the AMC 20 come with GM shims that go under the pinion bearing, not under the race like factory. Go to www.ratechmfg.com for the correct AMC 20 shims, they're worth the money.

If you get genuine Dana/spicers gears, there will be a number from -5 to +5 on the head of the pinion. There are charts to get a starting point based on the addition/subtraction of numbers on the old/new pinions.

The old shims are always a good starting point, generally final setup is within .010" of factory.

Close ISN'T good enough, you need to be EXACT. Any more than about .002" off, and your gears will be noisy and wear quickly.

Get some of the manuals here: http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?cvsp%7EDepdf%7E5%7EAXL%7E

Also, what is your current gear, and what are you going to? The carriers may need to be replaced, depending on ratios.

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
pull the old bearings off and make a set of set up bearings from them
I would have said that too, but the press really mangled mine (D44's) when I pulled them off (it wasn't MY fault HONEST :shock: ) :wink:

ironman_gq
04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
I had a set of Dana gears without any markings on the head. I checked em and they turned out to be +- 0 so they didnt stamp any markings on them.

djaponi3
04-10-2008, 02:42 AM
THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS I AM STAYING WITH THE 3.54 GEARS THEY SEEM TO PULL THE JEEP PRETTY GOOD WITH A TIRED 360 AND I WILL TRY TO SALVAGE THE OLD BEARINGS AND MODIFY THEM FOR EASY INSTALL AND REMOVAL FOR SETUP THAT THOUGHT DID OCCUR TO ME BUT I WASNT SURE THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

Bulltear Ad