PDA

View Full Version : AMC 360 Flexplate Question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

arhame
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Hello again everyone.

I have a question concerning the Flexplate on an AMC360.

My jeep originally came with the 304, and, before I bought the jeep years back, someone changed the 304 out with a 360.

When I had the motor rebuild months back, I had an issue with the flexplate and the starter which I've finally resoved (starter ring on the flexplate was welded at an angle - very wierd), but I learned through this experience that there was a difference between the 304 and 360 flexplates (I believe it has to do with balancing).

Ok, so now I'm doing this changeover with my transfer case and, in order to do this, I'm going to have to go through this transmission again to change out the output shaft. Well, I kinda screwed up initially when assembling this, and just reused my stock converter (which I was lectured about doing that).

So, now I'm wanting to go ahead and change out my converter this time and do this properly. I've contacted B&M about a suggeted converter, and, not only was the guy I spoke with an a$$hole, but he wasn't much help. He told me that the converters that they had for the TH400 had a 10.75 inch bolt pattern. When I measured the flexplate I have for this AMC360, the bold pattern only measures at 10".

I contacted the people at TCI about a torque converter and rebuild kit, and the guy had to search a bit, but gave me part number 241501 (http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=213485). This torque converter shows to be for a Chevy TH400.

I guess I'm very hesitant to simply order this, and then possibly find out that it's not the correct converter. I can't seem to find a definate answer on what torque converter I can use. It's been suggested that with my cam I should look for something in the approximately 2000 rpm stall speed area.

Are the torque converter bolt patterns the same on the AMC360 flexplates as the AMC304 flexplates? I guess if I knew this, it would make it a little easier in locating the correct torque converter.

Thanks for any information, suggestions, or scolding that anyone might offer.

1980_Cj7
04-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Depending on what you are using your vehicle for, don't go too high on the stall speed. We replaced the converter on our 258, and went with a higher stall speed, thinking it would let the 258 wind up a little more before taking hold, but with the low speed rock crawling we do, that ended up being a mistake. The tranny is slipping most of the time. I don't know how much is attributable to the converter, but the 727 is burnt up again and needs rebuilt after only about 5 years since the last rebuild.

arhame
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I actually just heard almost the same thing from a mechanic I use to work for many many years ago. Also, with me only running an edelbrock performer-plus cam with 204/214 duration, a stock stall speed up to a 2000 rpm converer should be perfect.

Now I just have to locate one.

Bulltear Ad