PDA

View Full Version : Free Jeep - how to tell engine condition??

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jpcjguy
04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey all,

So I was given a 1983 Wagoneer with the 360. Guy said the engine ran fine, but the tranny died and it has been parked for 5 or so years. No radiator in it and had to slap a carb that I had lying around on it. So I can't really run it per se, but I was able to fire it up briefly so it is not locked. At this point it is at a friend of a friend's house and I need to move it soon. I am planning on pulling the engine and trashing the rest(rough body).

My question is what are the best steps to evaluate the engine?

I will have it on a stand in my garage in a while and then plan on:
A)rebuilding it slowly over time - as my 360 in my CJ is ok now; B)just cleaning it up and having it ready to throw in the CJ.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Joe

ironman_gq
04-15-2008, 03:28 PM
leakdown and compression test. drop the pan and pull a main cap to check the bearings. check the oil pressure.

BREK
04-15-2008, 03:38 PM
My vote is for choice A. Especially if the engine has been sitting for that long, and I personally would rather find any issues now rather than wait until it is in the vehicle.

Crovus1969
04-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Does it have the transfer case? And would ya consider selling parts?

jpcjguy
05-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Does it have the transfer case? And would ya consider selling parts?

Yup - going to pull the whole drivetrain tomorrow night. Tranny is shot, but the transfer case should be good. We will see....

Crovus1969
05-08-2008, 09:59 PM
The transfer case for sale yet?

dwloop
05-09-2008, 02:41 PM
If he doesn't have one for you, I have one from a '83 Waggy that I will not need as well. Pulled the 360 last weekend, planning on pulling the 727 and transfer Saturday. Need anything else before it goes to the crusher??

DAve

Crovus1969
05-10-2008, 12:48 AM
yes i need the front drive shaft, transfer case, the air lines, and rear window motor. Shoot what would ya take for the rest of the waggy?

dwloop
05-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I figure I will get $150 - $200 as salvage and have to pay a friend for the use of his rollback, so if you want it you can have it for 150 bucks, come and get it.

Just so you know, the guy I bought it from lost the title, but did sign a bill of sale in order to get a lost title. Although I drove it home, it is in pretty bad shape with lots of body rust. Everything was intact except for the the rear glass, and the 360 and 727 I am taking. I was going to crush it, so I didn't care about the title. I was told the salvage yard will take a bill of sale in Missouri for anything older than a 92 model.

It is located in Southeast Missouri, about 15 miles north of Poplar Bluff, let me know as I have to meet you down there on a weekend.

Dave

Mudrat
05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Heck if you want to part it out - I need (for my 86):
- the reveal panel on the tail gate (the tailgate access panel behind the carpet),
- the intermittant wiper set-up including the switch up to the wiper motor plug,
- 2 of the bump stops on the bumpers, the vertical pieces with the rubber bits on them :wink:
- and if they're in good shape, all the chrome pieces on both sides of the body :idea: Saw an 85 Waggy here in Japan that had taken all that off and went with a single color paint (kind of an off-white color) and it looked ugly!!

I'll be back in the States Monday night y'alls time :t:

dwloop
05-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Crovus, you not interested?? I won't be down there this weekend, but the next. If no one wants it, its off to the crusher...

Thanks,
Dave

Mudrat
05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Guess your not going to part it out ... :smile:

dwloop
05-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Mudrat,

I don't mind sending you some of whats on it if no one wants the whole truck, but I'm really not into the packing and shipping bit. :oops: I really just bought the truck for the 360 and 727. If he doesn't want it I'll get you whatever I can ship if you get me a few dollars for my time and pay the shipping. Hate to see the good stuff go to waste if you need it and will use it. :t:

Like I said before, the body and chrome is not in very good shape. I'll get some photos next time I'm down.

Thanks!!

Dave

Mudrat
05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Mudrat,

I don't mind sending you some of whats on it if no one wants the whole truck, but I'm really not into the packing and shipping bit. :oops: I really just bought the truck for the 360 and 727. If he doesn't want it I'll get you whatever I can ship if you get me a few dollars for my time and pay the shipping. Hate to see the good stuff go to waste if you need it and will use it. :t:

Thanks!!

Dave
I did the same thing and came up with a restorable Waggy for posterity (which is why I need the parts) :mrgreen: I can live without chrome, but if you can shag the rest of the pieces parts, I'll pay the freight and some $$ for your effort no problem. With a broken ankle right now and being gone most of the year, I don't have time to go recycle-diving... :oops: :smile:

Bulltear Ad