PDA

View Full Version : setting up a model 20

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

djaponi3
04-19-2008, 12:36 PM
can I install the carrier shims on my open diff outboard of the carrier bearings versus behind the bearings I noticed in a catalog that it looks like the tracloc carrier shims are outside of bearings and open diff carrier shims are located behind bearings ?

FuzzFace2
04-19-2008, 02:01 PM
IIRC the carrier shims go between the carrier bearing race(s) and the housing, not the bearings and carrier. Just press on the new carrier bearings.
To move the carrier left /right you remove an amount needed from one side and add it to the other side. When this is set you then add the same amount to both sides to set carrier bearing preload as needed.
The pinion bearings set up is harder. You should have a set of bearings that are honed up on the inside so they just slide on the pinion. This way you can add/remove shims between bearings & pinion for setting up then when you got it right then using the shims press on the good bearings.
This is going by memory 5 years ago on how I did gear set up on my 20 in the drag car.
Dave ----

djaponi3
04-19-2008, 04:30 PM
thanks for the info! dave.

tufcj
04-24-2008, 07:29 AM
You'll find that all the master kits sold for the AMC20 today use GM 10 bolt shims. The carrier shims are outside the race. You can also put the pinion shims under the bearing, instead of under the race.

For correct shims, I use www.ratechmfg.com . Their shims are worth the money for OEM looking setup.

Bob
tufcj

djaponi3
04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
thanks again. dave

Bulltear Ad