PDA

View Full Version : Midplate/ Gasket Question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rixcj
04-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi. I just recently replaced all the timing cover gaskets and seals with a Felpro kit. I installed the midplate gasket dry onto super clean mating surfaces. It has a slow drip/leak :(:

I just ordered a 3 piece midplate/gasket kit from Bulltear. Can anyone shed some light on how to optimize this setup? All the pieces are different. Hopefully it will come with some instructions!

Should I install the stainless midplate dry, or cheat and give it a light mist of copper spray sealant?

I'm also going to attempt to do this swap with the timing cover still installed in the jeep. Yes? No?

BTW, I have a '79 CJ5 with a 401.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JERSEYJOE
04-19-2008, 05:50 PM
IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN THERE IS A GASKET BETWEEN THE MIDPLATE AND THE COVER, THEN ANOTHER GASKET THEN THE OIL FILTER HOUSING. THERE ARE DIFFERENT THICKNESS GASKETS DUE TO THE VARIATION IN THE AMOUNT THAT THE OIL PUMP GEARS FIT IN RELATION TO THE TOP OF THE COVER CASTING. THE GEARS SHOULD BE .007 HIGHER THAN THE COVER CASTING AN A SLIGHTLY THICKER GASKET LIKE .009 SHOULD BE USED. IF YOUR GEARS SIT LOWER THAN THE COVER CASTING AND YOU USE A .009 GASKET YOU WILL END UP WITH GREAT OIL PRESSURE COLD AND LOW PRESSURE WHEN HOT DUE TO THE EXCESSIVE GEAR END CLEARANCE.

TAKE A STRAIGHT EDGE ACCROSS THE FACE OF THE GEARS AND WITH A FEELER GUAGE MEASURE THE CLEARANCE TO THE COVER CASTING.

HOPE I HAVE NOT CONFUSED YOU. I AM SURE SOEM OTHERS WILL CHIME IN. MC????????

PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPITAL LETTERS I AM NOT SHOUTING I HAVE EXTREMELY POOR VISION AND CAPS ARE EASIER TO SEE.

rixcj
04-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Looking at the picture of the product, only one gasket, the one on the left, has an opening large enough for the gears to fit through.
Do the other gaskets go between THAT gasket, and the cover(oil filter mount)?

jeepsr4ever
04-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Gaskets whould go in dry. If you have a leak you most likey could have.

1. Debris between gasket and mating surface
2. An unflat surface on either timing cover or oil filter adaptor

Bulltear Ad