PDA

View Full Version : Functional CJ5/7 hood cowl

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

DolceCJ
04-20-2008, 04:56 PM
I am needing to get heat out of the engine bay before summer temperatures arrive. CJ5, AMC 360, comp cam, alum radiator,4 sp, 3.73.

I cannot find a functional cowl (no scoop) to fit. Looked all over the net and ebay. Anyone have any success here?

:?

Ibby
04-20-2008, 07:20 PM
There's some options in the other thread you made: http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8269
The Race Ace ones I put in my XJ worked really well. Pricey though.

1980_Cj7
04-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Roam some junk yards. You'd be surprised what you might find. A lot of the bigger trucks have all kinds of louvers/cowls/vents, whatever you want to call them.

hugh
04-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I bought some ABS louvers from Summit Racing, the description in the catalogue was a bit unclear so I thought they were functional but they were fake, by that I mean they had no open slots so I took a cordless drill and drilled 2 starter holes for each louver and then used a box cutter knife to open them up. They came with 3M tape plus I pop riveted them to my hood. Cutting the slots in the hood was scary at first but once you start its not to bad. I used 2 different lengths and then painted them to match the hood. Do they work? Yes they let a lot of heat escape the engine bay faster, my CJ has the twin flex a lite electric fans and sitting in garage turning the fans on will blow out a lit match thru the drivers side louvers. I also changed to rad meant for a 304 V8, and bought a high perf water pump from this site. Surprisingly adding a strip of lawn edging across the gap at the top of the cowl/rad edge also helped. Oh and a high flow thermostat to work with the water pump was also added. In the show us your ride look under pics from manitoba, the first picture isn't great but you can see the louvers.

tufcj
04-21-2008, 09:21 AM
I used louvers from an early 70s Nissan 240Z. Got them at a junk yard for free. They do help. My temp gauge shows about 10 degrees cooler. My Jeep has a 1 piece glass front, so there are fewer places for air to escape.

Bob
tufcj

DolceCJ
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM
I like the Race Ace.

Bulltear rocks

:?

sprink669
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Try Chrylser Lebaron Turbo hood vents. I had them on my Jeep XJ and I only paid $15 for the pair.

DolceCJ
04-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Has anyone out there had any luck adapting a fan shroud to fit an AMC360 in a CJ5? Lack of one may also be part of my cooling problems. I'm running a Novak 3 core aluminim radiator?

:lo1l:

tufcj
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
4WD Hardware make a repro of the original for about $100. I even adapted mine to an aluminum radiator. You do need a shroud to cool properly. Without it, the fan just moves air around the radiator, instead of thru it.

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?PN=1&word=fan+shroud

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad