PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding 401 advice

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

aallison28
04-27-2008, 04:42 PM
OK, I've spent a bit of time searching the forum. Got some good ideas. But need more.

I am looking at a 401 out of a FSJ. Ran when pulled, had less than 80K miles but smoked a bit on start up.

I don't think it needs a complete rebuild. Just a "freshining up". Any suggestions?

It's going in a CJ6 with a T18-D20, D44-60, 4.56's, locked front and rear. Going to put 39's or a bit larger. I want a reliable engine. I don't need to build the engine too much. Not in a cj6 with a t18. It's hard to speed shift a truck tranny.

But I need suggestions. I have not seen the engine yet and I want to see the 401 on the side before I believe it. Dude want's 500 bucks.

SO with the description, and no pressure test, what is your best guess as to the shape of the motor?

What do I need to do to it to freshen it up without tearing it apart? Should I change the oil pump out? Timing gears? etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

1980_Cj7
04-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I hate to tell you this, but with the age on the 401's, most need major work if they are original. I've had two now, and the bearings were shot in both of them. The cam in one had about 3 completely round "lobes", and that was the better one of the two that was running when we got it. Only way to tell is to at least drop the pan and check the bearings. I know you don't want to hear this, but would you rather go to all the trouble of putting it in your Jeep, only to find out later and have to pull it back out again? Good luck to you, and I hope I'm wrong!

dan58
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
D44s are going to go BOOM with 39s and a 401 (or a 360 for that matter).

Get some 60s for that tire size. :lo1l:

aallison28
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM
D44s are going to go BOOM with 39s and a 401 (or a 360 for that matter).

Get some 60s for that tire size. :lo1l:

If the 44 goes BOOM, I'll upgrade. But I'm not real heavy on the skinny. And in Fla it's all mud and sand.....

Dude that had them before me ran 39's in Telleco for years and didn't kill it. I hope to have that luck.....

Bulltear Ad