PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild in washington - need advice

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

quikclimber
04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
anybody know a good shop in washington that is familar with the ins and outs of rebuilding an AMC? I have a 401 in my FSJ which is getting pretty tired and am going to pull it soon and see if its worth rebuilding.
The engine has 50,000 since i rebuilt it, but it was my first time rebuilding an engine and i knew very little about AMC's. It's bored .030 over and the short block was assembled by someone i spokane my dad found. I did not know about the oil bypass to the rear cylinders so i did not install the oil line. I re-used the timing cover(worn), and used a mismatched distributor drive gear set. It ran very well at first, but the last two years its been loosing power. Oil pressure reaches 35psi at startup, but slowly decreases, and never gets above 25psi once the engine is warm. Compression test = only 80psi in cyl 5 and 6. Does this sound like something worth working on, or would i be better starting with a fresh block. my other option is to run a SBC crate engine and just be done with the 401/

JMSII
04-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I just had a machine shop in Spokane do my 401 short block and they did a spectacular job.

The company is called Jones Automotive Engines. I am at work right now so I can't get their number, but when I get home I'll try and post it.

JMSII
04-29-2008, 12:00 PM
The number for Jones Automotive Engines in Spokane is: (509) 838-3625.

Bulltear Ad