PDA

View Full Version : oil pump help

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JERSEYJOE
05-11-2008, 08:55 PM
OK I have a decent factory timing cover from a low mileage 360, one of the only ones I ever took apart that the gear to cover clearance was not out the window. In fact this cover is so mint there are not scars on the cover at all. Any how I am going to run the spare set of Bull tear gears with a mid plate.

QUESTION:

Should I have the cover machined until the gears are .007 taller than the cover then use a .009 gasket? This would give me the .002 desired end clearance from the gears to the midplate.

A quick check of the cover with the new gears installed shows that they are currently BELOW the surface of the cover.

Blown7
05-12-2008, 03:59 AM
How far below?

I found in the past that I have machined the gears below the cover for the .002 thousanths clearance and just used RTV as a seal and that worked well too.

Jeff

jeepsr4ever
05-12-2008, 08:17 AM
No, The gaskets will squish a couple thousanths. Due to inconsistancies in the gear and housing you shold leave at least .002".

JERSEYJOE
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
So I should shoot for haveing the gears stick up from the housing .002? what thickness gasket do I use between the housing and the midplate?

jeepsr4ever
05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
No, here is what I would do so you done ruin any gears or your T/cover. Install the oil filter adaptor or in your case the #626 plate dry with a .007 gasket and use two bolts to tighten it on either side. Then take a screw driver and see if the pump turns freely. If the pump does not turn freely then use the thicker gasket. If the parts arent very clean you may not get a very good reading and that can lead to some booboo's.

Bulltear Ad