PDA

View Full Version : going to look at tranny and transfer case...need help

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mike4089
05-28-2008, 07:09 PM
im going to look at a tranny and transfer case...guy says its a t-18 and dana 20 transfer case...he doesnt seem confident thought and thinks it might be a factory cj t-18 but doesnt know....how do i know what tranny and transfer case it is...how do i tell the diffrence between a dana 20 and a dana 300??? im looking at this at 330 central time so all the help before this is appreciated

tufcj
05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
A factory Jeep T-18 will have a PTO plate on the drivers side, if it has a plate on the passenger side, or both sides, it's a Ford conversion (not that there's anything wrong with that). The input shaft is short, somewhere around 7", I think. The Model 20 adapter plate on the back is cast iron, around 1" thick. It should have Borg-Warner cast in the side, and a part # that starts with 1301-XXXX

The T-18 was never factory with a Dana 300, and the adapter is around 4" long for the 300, and probably aluminum.

A model 20 t-case is all cast iron, and the bottom cover is raised about 1" above the bolt flange.

A 300 t-case has an aluminum tail housing, and the bottom cover is nearly flat.

If he's not sure, it could also be a Ford NP435, easily ID'd by the aluminum top cover. The T-18 top cover is cast iron.

Bob
tufcj

mike4089
05-29-2008, 09:31 AM
and how do i know if the tranny came out of a wagoneer or if it came out of a cj....i wanna say there is a spacer between the bellhousing and the tranny because the wagoneer tranny had a long input shaft??? is that correct??

tufcj
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
The Wagoneer input shaft is over 12" long. They had a 6" spacer between the trans and bellhousing in order to move the shift tower back far enough in the Waggies that it didn't hit the dash.

A Waggie T-18 can be converted to a CJ input, but it takes a total disassembly, you can't just yank one out and slap the other in.

The most desirable Jeep T-18 is from '79. Reverse gear is right/down, the reverse shift fork is aluminum, and attached to the top cover. The earlier T-18s have reverse right/up, these have a smaller bulge in the passenger rear corner, and you can see a pin that holds the reverse shift arm.

Make sure you shift it into granny low and spin it. Count the revolutions of the input shaft. Some were 4:1, others were 6.32:1. The 4:1 units are hardly worth the time.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad