PDA

View Full Version : A SILLY LITTLE THING THAT ALMOST RUINED MY DAY

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JERSEYJOE
06-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Well there I was. Just installed a rebuilt 360 in my CJ. Also swapped in a T-18 and a Scout Dana 300. Today I was planning on starting it for the first time. The last thing I normally do is fill the cooling system. What I do is fill the engine through the thermostat opening, then install the thermostat, housing and fill the rest of the cooling system. As I was priming the oiling system my buddy yelled " HEY YOU HAVE A COOLANT LEAK". Sure enough there was a drip from both sides of the block toward the rear. Very small drip but still a leak. It's a horrible feeling. My mind raced: I had the heads rebuilt and they were surfaced, but the block was not decked, but it was fine. I have done this before. I always use copper coat on the head gaskets and seal the lower ( short ) head bolts.

Any way I continued on, installed the distributor and it actually started after about 20 seconds of cranking. Ran fine. I set the timing and let it sit on high idle. Still the drips from both sides of the motor. Now I am beside myself. Sunday afternoon after a long project and I am faced with this.

I don't know why I looked but as I reved the motor I looked at the space on top of the timing cover below the distributor and there was green coolant. I then looked at the space where the intake meets the head on the front left, as I reved the motor green fluid spit out.

THE SOLUTION

I had purchased aftermarket intake bolts to use with my Edelbrock Performer. the bolts are too long and were bottoming out in the head giving a good torque reading but not allowing a tight seal. I pirated a set of bolt off another 360 I had and installed them.

LEAK GONE.

So beware . I looked at the tip of the bolts and sure enough the first thread was shiny, proof that it was indeed bottoming out. I have been screwing with AMC motors since my first AMX in 1975 and I thought I knew it all.

JERSEYJOE
06-30-2008, 09:32 PM
30 VIEWS AND NO COMMENTS?

MMMMMMM

jeepsr4ever
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
:?: I think I have been there...a long time ago but I believe I have :mrgreen:

JERSEYJOE
07-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I also got stung by the Fram oil filter failure.

When I started the engine the oil pressure was perfect. The relief valve kicked in at about 65, hot idle of about 20. All day Saturday whenever I started it it was fine. Sunday I started it and it idled at 20 but would not increase with any rpm, in fact it dropped. I immediately went to Auto Zone and got a Motorcraft filter and the problem went away. Amazing. of course I admit I did use the old Vaseline packing of the pump..I guess the filter was clogged with it??????

1980_Cj7
07-01-2008, 05:59 AM
30 VIEWS AND NO COMMENTS?

MMMMMMM

I think maybe that was the only thing you DIDN"T know about AMC 's. Now after learning it, you finally really DO know everything!

But, the real trick is learning everything before you get to be so old you can't remember anything, like me for instance, ha, ha.

Glad your problem turned out to be so simple. Also, it's a tribute to your diagnostic skills that you pin-pointed it so quickly.

AMX69PHATTY
07-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Screw the intake manifold mounting bolts all the way into the heads by hand before the Intake is installed and measure the distance under the head, then measure the intake mounting flange thickness, allow for any washers used, and adjust bolt length accordingly, especially when using and aftermarket manifold and if it has been machined for proper fit, is what I did. The 1967-72 parts manual calls for 1-1/4 and a couple 1-1/8 long bolts in some years.

JERSEYJOE
07-01-2008, 03:16 PM
This is a great tip. I learned the hard way. All these years I took it for granted then I got stung. At least I got lucky and was able to figure it out quick before I started ripping heads off looking for a non-exixtant crack.

Lesson is that we should NEVER overlook the obvious and you should check everything, twice.....

Goose
07-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Well speaking as someone who has went through a lot of trouble shooting only to find out there was no damn gas in the carb.. (Cause well i was sure I could hear it squirting i didnt actually look) It is always best to check the simple things.. twice.. Glad you got it figured out

AMX69PHATTY
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Yes, great advice, Check Everything Twice.
When I'm helping others work on their junk they sometimes get "bothered" by my insisting on checking everything, twice, they always say "it's a new part, it should be right, shouldn't have to check it". Sometimes I say "It'll be easier to do the second time around".

#-o

Bulltear Ad