PDA

View Full Version : Rocker arm adjustment

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

dustym
07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Now I have checked and timing was ok, new pushrods from summit were about 8" and old stock ones were 7 3/4 (previous post), Now I need to tighten down the rockers. The lifters are not pumped up and I do not want to over tighten them at this point. I tried the spinning technic but they still spun as I tighened them all the way down. What would be a good starting point until I have the engine in and running? I want to get this in soon. Thanks for the help.
The valve covers and intake are just sitting on top to keep crap out.
Tim
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/chester1117/Jeep/IMG_1204.jpg

jeepsr4ever
07-07-2008, 08:57 PM
OEM length from 1970 up was 7.800" If your pushrods are too long you may need to replace them. Unless that is you are using single rockers instead of bridged.

dustym
07-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Well I tied using the longer pushrods on the single rockers but I broke one and bent a couple others. I am now going to use the push rods that came out of the original block that did have the bridged rockers. With these i am able to rotate the crank without any problems.
Now I am just trying to get a baseline of how much to tighten the rockers down, before it actually gets started.

Tim

1980_Cj7
07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Don't the individual rockers just call for a torque value, something like 23 ft. lbs. if memory serves me right, which it usually doesn't? I tightened them until the push rod wouldn't spin, then went another 1/4 turn (if I recall correctly), with the valve in the closed position, and found that put the nuts all the way tight, so it seemed to go along with the torque method.

dustym
07-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I did torque them to 25 lbs with the first pushrods, but they were the wrong length. I will try to torque them again and see what happens.

AMX69PHATTY
07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Since the Intake is not bolted down you can watch the Plunger in the Lifters.
Idea is to just get the plunger away from the retaining ring that holds it in the lifter.
Spec I've read is .020 to .045 preload.
So tighten rocker until there is no play, watch the plunger in the lifter
not pumped up the plunger moves off the retainig ring very easily,
then watch plunger and push it into the lifter .020-.045.
Of course each valve should be in the Fully Closed position first.
What thread are the rocker studs ?
If 7/16-20 then 1 full turn is .050 inch.
If 3/8-24 then 1 full turn is .042 inch.
So about 1/2 to 1 full turn past initial no slop contact.
Are they stud mounted rockers with poly locks ?
If Intake is bolted down a mark on the pushrod by the valve cover rail can be used for a visual.

:idea:

tarior
07-15-2008, 07:19 PM
The rule of thumb I remember is with the lifter completely off the lobe, tighten the rocker until there is no slop, then add 5/8 turn. It's always worked for me.

Bulltear Ad