PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft ?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

dustym
07-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Sometimes I think I should have just rebuilt the engine that was in the jeep, and not the free block, that I did.

Was going to install the flywheel and noticed that there was no flange on this crank, there was one on the other one though. The flywheel still bolted on and there is a pilot bushing in it which leads me to believe that this was bolted to a manual transmission. Does anyone think I will have a problem?

Thanks,
Tim

tufcj
07-10-2008, 07:55 AM
72 and older cranks had no flange. There was a pilot bushing both with a manual and the M-12 automatic. You'll need a 72 and older flywheel to match the crank. If it has a manual flywheel, you're good. The 73-up flywheel may not center properly on the earlier crank.

Bob
tufcj

dustym
07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Now I am a little confused by your answer.

I need a 72 and earlier flywheel, but if it has a manual flywheel its good to go? (This is the quesionable part)

So, I have an '80' flywheel (year of Jeep) for a manual transmission, and I will need to get an earlier (72 or before) flywheel for a manual transmission. Regardless if it does bolt up, and the bolt pattern is the same I need to replace it for the earlier years?

Sorry for the confusion, but I am losing my pataince on this engine. This one is fighting me every step of the way. :?

Tim

tufcj
07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I kind of misread your first post. I thought you had both styles of flywheel.

You will need an early flywheel (72-down) for the flat crank. The 73-up flywheel uses the flange on the crank to center it on the crank. Without that flange, only the bolts keep it centered, even just .010" could cause terrible vibration. The earlier flywheel has its own flange on the back side to center it. I'm also not sure the height of the flange from the bellhousing surface is the same between cranks. If it's not, then your starter gear won't be in the right place.

So, you can bolt on the late flywheel, but you'll be risking pulling it all apart again if/when the vibration occurs. It's up to you if you want to take the chance.

Bob
tufcj

dustym
07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I do appreciate what you are saying, if I have to get another flywheel I will. I suppose the clutch and pressure plate that I already purchased will be wrong, and also the starter? This just seems to be compounding.
Lets see.

Re dos
Wrong cam bearings = restock fees + delay
wrong timing chain = shipping fee + delay
vibration damper install issues= broken tool $
broken push rods = purchase cost + time
new head gasket =money
Already turned other flywheel = money
New flywheel = money
clutch ?
starter ?
bellhousing ?

Just a quick rebuild and swap, yay right.

tufcj
07-10-2008, 02:15 PM
You should be OK with the clutch, pressure plate, bellhousing, and starter. AMC didn't change those from 68 on. You'll probably need a different pilot bearing (make sure it fits the tranny input BEFORE you try to install the tranny).

Bob
tufcj

dustym
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all of your input. It looks like I am going to find a new flywheel on my way home.

Bulltear Ad