PDA

View Full Version : Oxyen Sensor for TBI Question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1980_Cj7
07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
OK all you experienced TBI guys...

When we get around to putting the junk yard TBI system on the 401, will we need an oxygen sensor on each bank of the V8, or can we get by with one?

We have two pipes into one tailpipe, but they don't come together until pretty far back at a dual inlet single outlet muffler. No cross over pipe ("X" or "H") and no cat. If we go with just one oxygen sensor way back there, I understand it needs to be heated. Can we get away with just one sensor up closer to the engine monitoring one bank of cylinders only? It's a "brand new" engine, completey rebuilt, so it seems like there shouldn't be a lot of difference from one bank to the other. If we only monitor one side, is one side better than another for any reason?

Any recommendations on any particular oxygen sensor, quality, price-wise, etc.?

tufcj
07-24-2008, 11:27 AM
You just need one, that's all I have on my Howell system.

You do need it within 12" of the manifold, or you'll have to run a heated sensor. If it's too far from the manifold, it will cool enough during long idles to drop into open loop.

Also, if you have the AIR (Smog) pump, you need to remove it, the air it pumps into the exhaust will cool the sensor.

The one Howell sent with the kit failed, I put in a Bosch, and it's been fine. The neat thing with the Howell kit is I can just get a 91-95 Chevy truck sensor and plug it in, no cuts, splices, or soldering.

Bob
tufcj

1980_Cj7
07-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Sounds good. I should be able to do something similar. Just have to remember what our Chevy TBI system came off of, and buy the oxygen sensor for that vehicle. I think our wires to the oxygen sensor were cut, but I could still find some connectors and put them back on.

Don't have an AIR pump.

Was thinking about getting a fuel pump from Howell, so maybe I could get an oxygen sensor and connectors from them also. I figure they're in the business, so they should know what works and what doesn't by now.

Bulltear Ad