PDA

View Full Version : stripped bolt for harmonic balancer

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepcj7304
08-02-2008, 07:12 PM
i was tightening the bolt that goes through the harmonic balancer into the crank to get the motor to TDC and it just stripped out. my question is can i helicoil it and will it hold it doesnt take alot of torque its just a bolt to hold the balancer which is pressed on any way right? second can i do it myself or will i be burning through drill bits too fast to get through it? or should i try to clean it out with a tap of teh same size and then loctite it?

jeepsr4ever
08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
It is a very deep tappped hole. You will need to re tap it and find a longer bolt to get the balancer on and then use your stock bolt

MoPedal
08-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I think he is saying the threads in the crank are stripped out...would it help to go back with the stock bolt or just leave the longer one in it? :?:

jeepsr4ever
08-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Usually what happens is that you end up stripping the first inch of threads. If you dont bottom out the longer bolt then by ll means leave it in and please use some anti sieze or high temp brake grease on install/

Wrench Man
08-03-2008, 09:39 AM
a longer bolt to get the balancer on

You SHOULD NOT! use the bolt to pull the dampener onto the crank, that's why they make installer tools!

jeepcj7304
08-03-2008, 11:21 AM
i used a tap to clean the threads up and still wont catch any so i am going to get a helicoil but should i stay with the stock fine thread or go coarse thread?

Wrench Man
08-03-2008, 04:48 PM
stay with the FINE threads, they are STRONGER!

jeepsr4ever
08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Wrench man brings up a good point. Basically a installer tool is a fine threaded stud and a long nut with a hardened washer for proper installation. The stud can go to the bottom of the tapped hole and then removed only after the balancer is agains thte oil sligner/small timing gear. Good catch!

Wrench Man
08-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Basically a installer tool is a fine threaded stud and a long nut with a hardened washer for proper installation. The stud can go to the bottom of the tapped hole and then removed only after the balancer is agains thte oil sligner/small timing gear. Good catch!

Mine has several adapters for different engines, and a flanged nut that runs against a thrust ball bearing and the bearing pushes on the dampener.

Bulltear Ad