PDA

View Full Version : RINGS: MOLY OR CAST IRON?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JERSEYJOE
08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
I guess I'm on a roll this week. Lot's of opinions on this one.

Cast iron are brittle and have been known to shatter from preignition, but seat fast and are long lasting once they seat. Will tolerate a coarser bore finish. less expensive

Moly are ductile and will not shatter like cast iron but requires a slicker bore finish, less forgiving if it is not just right, not as long lasting(???)

anything else??????????????

I guess for a strictly performance motor moly is the way to go, but for a street motor that expects 100,000 miles cast iron is better.(?????)

I'M JUST THINKING OUT LOUD OTHERS PLEASE JUMP IN...

jeepsr4ever
08-07-2008, 12:23 PM
If you running under 5500rpm and are under 11-1 compression go with the iron rings.

Wrench Man
08-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Molly rings are nothing more than iron rings with a molly face on them, nothing more nothing less, they seal faster than iron rings but they do require a finer finish than plain iron rings.
Personally I WOULD run the molly rings.
If you want rings that will last for ever use "chrome", it's recommended for severe conditions, but they take FOREVER! to seat.
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ContentData.aspx?Contentid=62

fifesjeep
08-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm running the moly rings and I don't have any complaints... When I first fired and broke the 360 in I was expecting smoke for the first few seconds but all I got was a small puff on the initial fire and that was it... I'm also running forged 10:1 pistons...

jeepsr4ever
08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
I think your mistaken the Moly rings need specific course cross hatch and seat much slower than iron rings.

Wrench Man
08-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I think your mistaken the Moly rings need specific course cross hatch and seat much slower than iron rings.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/cylinder_bore_refinishing.htm

I've installed HUNDREDS! of sets of these and when we bored an engine we use the 280 grit and "knocked the peaks off" with a "match stick" hone, the CLEVITE rep came to the shop and gave us "the schpeel", we put moly in every gas engine unless it was an "LP" HYSTER forklift engine or intended for DIRTY! conditions, LP engines got iron and "INDUSTRIAL" engines got CHROME.

Like Fife said with moly you get the puff of smoke from the assembly lube and the rings are broken in before the cam!

I'm not sure why my signature isn't showing up?, I'm an ASE Master certified engine machinist in gas and diesel, and have THOUSANDS of hours of engine work experience in cylinder head machining and engine assembly, so you can argue all day if you want!?

jeepsr4ever
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Sorry I dont want to argue and your right the moly rings seat up quickly but require a specific hatch angle as you already know. You should also go with the Moly rings as well Joe the temps your top ring will see will be too high for longevity with iron. If you cant get the right crosshatch or are honing in your garage you have no alternative than iron though. I am trying to be helpfull here but I have had a month of very little time. I guess I got ahead of myself.

Sorry guys please continue! :razz:

(I cant wait until the wedding is over and I am settled in again!)

fifesjeep
08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
(I cant wait until the wedding is over and I am settled in again!)

Don't do it man!!! They're all suckubuses... They're evil man!!!

jeepsr4ever
08-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Thats why I went right for Satan...at least I know I will get burned :?: Actually she is an angel and I love her very much. If you find yourself in Dudlth MN on the 8th please come by for the burial. :?:

fifesjeep
08-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Thats why I went right for Satan...at least I know I will get burned
:mrgreen: Now that my friend is funny!!! Oly $h!t, that had me rolling for a good minute. If I were around that area I would definitely swing by and possibly take a tour of your shop etc. Weddings and being all proper etc isn't for me... lol.
No worries though, I'll pour half of my beer on the ground... as another one has fallen victim to the "other side"... :smile:
Jokes to the side.... Congrats man!... Hopefully your days with your soon to be wife will bring new life and excitement... (and new kick-ass products :t: )...
[/i]

JERSEYJOE
08-08-2008, 07:45 PM
MC the place that does my machine work has a Sunnen CK 10 and I have seen the proper finish for moly, almost mirror like compared the the finish a 380 grit flexhone lays down for the iron rings.

Wish you the best on the 8th .One of these days I will pop in when you least expect it.......

Looks like we are going with L2380F, moly rings and the 58 cc chambered heads with street port cleanup.

1980_Cj7
08-09-2008, 04:29 AM
MC, what material did you choose for your new nose ring??? And make sure you use the proper angle when honing , ha, ha.

jeepsr4ever
08-09-2008, 11:31 AM
:sa: :mrgreen:

Bulltear Ad