PDA

View Full Version : Cam-"ya in-ya out"

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MoPedal
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Need opinions.....should I keep it or turn it into boundry line marker! The next to last lobe looks ??? because of the rust spots. Thanks
http://picasaweb.google.com/mopedal/401Cam?authkey=GmiTcfUlxOc

jeepsr4ever
08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Hmm a used cam....hmmm :mrgreen:

JERSEYJOE
08-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I would not take a chance. I have run used cams before but the oxidation on this one has damaged the surface and perhaps comprimised the hardness. I would think it would wipe out the lifter in a relative short time. The last time I ran a used cam I took it from a low miles motor and kept the related valve train in the exact order it came out from. Never had an issue.

Just my opinion

MoPedal
08-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Hmm a used cam....hmmm :mrgreen:
Actually, this is the one out of the 401 from Ca I bought. The same one I was talking about the lifters having a little rust in them and wanting to put some new guts in the old lifters...I kept feeling uneasy about the condition of the cam and pulled it. So I didn't make it very clear but the pictures are from the one in the 401. Not sure if it is the stock cam or not...Can anyone tell by the numbers on it? I kinda agree JerseyJoe, not sure what a RV cam kit would cost but I don't want any problems. Thanks for your comments!

JERSEYJOE
08-12-2008, 04:10 PM
There are a lot of RV cams on ebay from people like MAd dog racing. I like to use Engle since they grind them specifically for you. I just ordered one for a 401 project that should be just what I need. The Summit Racing AMC RV grind is a decent one, so it the Edelbrock cam.

ironman_gq
08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I have an Engle cam in mine and had it ground to make low rpm torque. for $140 for the cam it is the best single mod i have made for another $100 or so they send a set of lifters with it so you know they are compatible.

JERSEYJOE
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I just ordered an Engle 5054 for the 401 project.

kris
08-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Ive been running an Engle custom grind for about 8 years.

k52 (5052) intake and a k54 (5054) exhaust, 112* lobe center.

Its a great cam. Its been in a 360, but it does well in 401's too. Power is from idle. I pulled the engine today for a makeover, and will be ordering another this week.

kris.

JERSEYJOE
08-18-2008, 06:45 AM
AND WHEN YOU CALL ENGLE YOU ACTUALLY GET TO SPEAK WITH A PERSON THAT IS INTERESTED IN HELPING YOU. THEY ALSO GRIND EACH ONE TO ORDER SO YOU CAN GET A CUSTOM GRIND JUST LIKE KRIS DID.

IT'S HELPFUL PEOPLE LIKE THEM THAT MAKES DOING THIS STUFF MORE INTERESTING.

kris
08-18-2008, 10:19 AM
I'll second that.
I had lost the cam card that came with it, and needed the specs. I called them last week and Mark Engle answered the phone. He spent close to 10 minutes chatting about cams with me. We talked about flat tappet cam failures, and he said that for his own vehicles, he is using diesel oil with a Justice Brothers additive that has ZDDP in it in.

Great service.

On ordering, he said that they do all their parkerizing in house and I believe he said that they usually do it Thursday (could be wrong though). They're about 30 miles away from my house, I'll be picking it up in person. :mrgreen:

kris.

rollen dean montoya
08-18-2008, 07:08 PM
now thats service!

MoPedal
08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
now thats service!
I',m not sure Engle's could buy that kind of advertising :sa: :!: You guys have sold me! :lo1l: I tried calling them a few times but no answer so I emailed them and within a few minutes Mark had emailed me back with an attachment to look over....I'm sure we'll talk tomorrow!
Thanks for your input!

MoPedal
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I called Engle's and kinda thinking the same way Kris did:
Intake-.489 (k-52); Ext .501(k-54); 110*;1* Advance.
Main goal is to get all torque possible from idle and the quickest throttle response. Do you'll think the 110* will allow for enough vacuum?
Different thought's???

Bulltear Ad