PDA

View Full Version : Daystar Urethane Engine Mounts...

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

kris
08-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I installed these the last time I had my engine out, about 7 years ago. I pulled the engine last weekend and both mounts just fell apart.

These were supposed to be interlocked with steel (not able to pull apart), but upon inspection it appears that whatever structure is inside the mount is barely more than tack welded to the plates on the top and bottom of it.

These are $80 mounts, I bought them so this wouldnt happen...
Anyone have experience with these ?

k.

BREK
08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I didnt even know daystar made amc engine mounts. I have prothane poly mounts in my amx that I bought from bulltear. Now I havent pulled my engine since I installed these but I run my car hard and havent had any issues in the past 2 years.

JERSEYJOE
08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I have them too. No problems

jeepsr4ever
08-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Polyurethane....well it has a finite lifespan and doesnt like UV rays and oil but to crumble like that means they had a BAD mix

Mudrat
08-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Got poly on all my mounts and I SQUEEK baddly in the YJ !! should I be replacing these after 2 years??

fuzz401
08-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Got poly on all my mounts and I SQUEEK baddly in the YJ !! should I be replacing these after 2 years??

loose weight ???????????? 8) :t: :sa: :sa: :sa:

Lifted79CJ7
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM

You running greasable bolts on your suspension?

Mudrat
08-25-2008, 07:31 PM

You running greasable bolts on your suspension?
Yup, and it's pretty much a plain jane Jeep.

ironman_gq
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I had the same problem with my cj eventually the squeaks went away

CJ Brando
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I have Daystar poly engine mounts on my CJ7 and I haven't pulled the engine since I rebuilt it. I do like the firmness of the mounts since I had the stock rubber ones that seemed to make the engine really twist when revved up.

Dusty
09-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I had too many problems with the poly mounts. in my CJ im running M.O.R.E bomb proof mounts.
They are worth the money and they eliminate the potential for broken mounts and help with frame twist

im getting ready to fab up something similar (cutting up some old bomb proofs) for my cherokee chief, until then the chief has stock mounts with the steel interlock and they seem to be holding up alot longer than my old poly's would

1980_Cj7
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Polyurethane....well it has a finite lifespan and doesnt like UV rays and oil but to crumble like that means they had a BAD mix

I thought that was supposed to be one of the advantages of poly, that it wasn't affected by grease and oil like rubber is.

kris
09-13-2008, 09:43 PM
The problem with mine isnt the polyurethane, its the interlocking steel within the mount has very little welded contact with the steel plates that make up the mounting surfaces of the mount.

http://www.panamintcharlie.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10013/BrokenMount.jpg

The welds broke (Id call them tack welds) and then there was nothing to hold the urethane to the plates...

Not like theres much else out there, they lasted longer (I think) than rubber. But this seems like bad quality for $80.

k.

merr6267
10-03-2008, 05:14 PM
My first set did the same. I pulled the trans out one spring for a fluid change and check, and saw that the motor mounts were broken apart just like yours.

I was in a hurry for new ones so I ordered a set and put them in . . . I'm not sure if the new ones look the same way now or not . . . I'm 500 miles away from my Jeep, and my brother needs to get it back in the garage.

kris
10-04-2008, 05:30 PM
UPDATE

I went to the OffRoad Expo today in Pomona CA.
Dropped by the Daystar booth, explained what happened and got a "no problem, call me this week, I'll take care of it".

When I said that they were close to 10 years old, I was told "no questions asked".

Simple good service. :mrgreen:

Ill be calling them this week.

kris.

Mudrat
10-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Got an update Kris?

kris
10-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Nope, didnt call yet. Got too busy. :wink:

Ill let ya know, Gimme til Tuesday.

k.

Bulltear Ad