PDA

View Full Version : First time engine build, and it's a 401.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

trouser chili
09-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok, it's not quite my first engine build, I've done some small motors in the past, and I pulled this motor myself about two years ago and replaced a leaking rear main seal and the main bearings, because they were looking worn. Pictures here:

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5852

Now I'm ready to do a full build. I've pulled the engine again, it's at the machine shop. They've called and it's going to need boring, but I don't know what it's going to clean up at yet. It's never been bored before, but that's ok because I'm looking to make a bit of a beast out of it, and yes it's going back in the International.

Here's what I want: A streetable engine for this heavy ass truck that will run on 91/93 octane gas in 98 degree summer weather without detonation.

Parts I already have:
A complete 401 engine.
An Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake manifold.
Me, with no sense.

I'm giving the machine shop instructions to fix the shortblock as needed for right now. Also they have instructions on the lifter valley oiling mod. Obviously once they're done boring I'm going to need new pistons. I'm thinking a 10:1 compression is where I'm going to want to be, but the only slugs I'm finding for this engine are dish or popups, and I think I'll need a flattop to get into the 10:1 ballpark.

Of course, the heads are going to play into this as well. They're 1974 doglegs, so I think that'll mean they have soft valve seats. I guess these need to be replaced with hardened valve seats? Also, while I'm here I feel it would be a great idea to replace the valves and valvesprings, but I've got no clue as to what to go with here either. Some of this is going to depend on camshaft selection, which I'm pretty much clueless about. HA. Now the noobiness is really coming out, eh?

Then if I can get through all of this, I can select a carb. The engine had a Holly 2210 Smogerator that ran around 500cfm I think. Not exactly a performance piece. I'm thinking I could end up somewhere between 600 and 750cfm once complete here, but I'm pretty much guessing at this point. How do I figure this stuff out?

Bulltear Ad